Mantua Sovereign of the Seas 1:78 bashed to death kit from Janos

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderator: zoly99sask

janos
Petty Officer Third Class

Re: Mantua Sovereign of the Seas 1:78 bashed to death kit from Janos

Postby janos » Sun May 21, 2017 6:38 pm

External planking is finished now. I started installing the gun port covers (all will be closed). The figure head is still in its infancy, I am working on it only a few hours per week as I am in the Museum.
Janos
Attachments
DSC_3903[1] s.jpg
DSC_3903[1] s.jpg (116.7 KiB) Viewed 192 times
DSC_3904[1] s.jpg
DSC_3904[1] s.jpg (88.61 KiB) Viewed 192 times
Donnie
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby Donnie » Sun May 21, 2017 7:11 pm

It will be interesting to see how it turns out with the Gun Ports closed. Your work is beyond my capabilities - very nice workmanship.

Donnie
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
janos

Postby janos » Sun May 21, 2017 8:08 pm

Thanks, Donnie,
I don't know yet, this will be a first for me as well, a ship with closed gunports. I would have a few arguments for this:
- this is a three-decker model, built as POB, so the internal decks are not worked out. Somehow I don't like the idea to show just a shortened gun barrels without any background built.
- although I installed the shortened barrel holders, due some miscalculations some of them are not exactly behind the gunport
- I am not going to use the kit supplied gun barrels (they are awful anyhow) and wanted to restrict the number of castings
- the number of guns is just enormous, so lazyness came into play ... )):-

I hope that a sort of 'harbour' state of the ship would look right, with closed gunports (but with hinges, eyebolts, opening lines etc) and with opened entry port, installed staircase to it.

Janos
Canoe21
Petty Officer Second Class
Petty Officer Second Class

Postby Canoe21 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:56 pm

Hello Janos

Great job you are doing on your Figure Head, you sure make envious of the skills that you possess and I do not have, keep the pictures coming. Your Sovereign of the Sea reminds me very much of mu HMS Victory that took me over two years to build and I am retired with many hours per day spent in the Old Ship Yard. I did find that with all of the guns to rig and set up did seem to take forever along with all of those gun ports, hinges and lift lines, it is almost as drawn out as the Rat Lines, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence
canoe21 { Lawrence }
PRESENT BUILD - viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1221 - GOLDEN HIND< Harold A. Underhill build plans, scale 1:60

Completed Build viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1172 HMS Bounty, scratch build, scale 1:60, using Amati build plans
DougW
Seaman
Seaman

Postby DougW » Mon May 22, 2017 7:34 pm

Hello Janos,
I just found your log and love the carving. It sounds like you are working at a museum. Are you carving with a rotary tool or by hand gouges? Not that it matters, just curious. Beautiful work.
Thanks for sharing.
Doug
janos

Postby janos » Thu May 25, 2017 7:56 am

Slowly she starts to look like a ship... Gunports are now closed, prepared for small details (hinges, bolts, lifting lines). The bow structure is done, note the grid replacing the kit's deck. An I just realized that I forgot to cut the gunports & the door on the forecastle... can be done later, though a bit more difficult.
Next step is the galleries and then I can start installing the decorative strips on the hull so the carvings' sizes can be established. Then come the carvings.
Doug: the carvings are done mostly with rotary tools. You can find a bit more detail in the carving section on this site.
Janos
Attachments
DSC_3906[1] s.jpg
Today's state
DSC_3906[1] s.jpg (97.84 KiB) Viewed 166 times
DSC_3908[1] s.jpg
the bow section, showing the grid structure
DSC_3908[1] s.jpg (87.86 KiB) Viewed 166 times
janos

Postby janos » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:16 am

Doug,
sorry about the late reply. I had been on a few weeks holiday and came back just recently. So the backlog is remarkable...
For my carvings I mostly use rotary tool (Marathon Micromotor) with milling and diamond bits, but also knives, chisels and (as the second most often used tool) scrapers.
Janos

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”