The Black Pearl 1/50 first build!

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderator: zoly99sask

Canoe21
Petty Officer Second Class

Re: The Black Pearl 1/50 first build!

Postby Canoe21 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:17 pm

Hello Gemma

Me again, I am afraid that I do not know exactly you mean. What I was referring to was you have installed a Femail PCB Header to the bottom of your ship yes. What I ask was can a Ribbon Cable be plugged in there and the other end to be plugged into the control board is this possible or do I need another Ribbon Cable, for the other side of the controller? If this possible then I could run single wires trough the ship to all of the LED lights.

Thanks ever so much for a Shot of your RUM, golly but that was some nice of you.

My Galant plans have finally arrived, now I must take a few days in order to study them, sure do not like a lot of surprises, ENJOY

Regards Lawrence
canoe21 { Lawrence }
PRESENT BUILD - viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1221 - GOLDEN HIND< Harold A. Underhill build plans, scale 1:60

Completed Build viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1172 HMS Bounty, scratch build, scale 1:60, using Amati build plans
GemmaJF
Petty Officer First Class

Postby GemmaJF » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:54 am

Hi Lawrence,

Sorry to be confusing

What I ask was can a Ribbon Cable be plugged in there and the other end to be plugged into the control board

Yes and no! Yes you could physically run a ribbon cable from the female PCB header in the keel to the Arduino and it would fit.

But where are the resistors in the circuit going to go?

You could put them in series anywhere, including in the ship.

What I would do is run a ribbon cable from the keel, to a custom made board of resistors. Then from here go to the Arduino. With Arduino there is a neat 'trick'. The custom board can be made so it plugs on top of the Arduino, this is then called a 'shield'. So one goes from the keel , to ribbon cable, to the shield, the shield then plugs directly over the Arduino.

If you can wait a couple of weeks or so I will post it all up when I build it. I am working on the photo-etch for the lanterns first.

When I get the etch I will build up the whole system for the Pearl and post it up here. Pictures of the actual parts and how I do it will be much easier I think than trying to explain it all in words.

There is still some rum left, so take another shot! (Zoltan obviously hasn't spotted it yet lol)

Very much looking forward to your next build, will be following with great interest.

All the best,

Gemma
Current Build: ZHL Black Pearl 1:50

Next Up: Billing Boats Bounty 1:50

Researching for POB scratch build : HMS Ferret 1:48 (1711)

Projects: Arduino Lighting Project
Canoe21

Postby Canoe21 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:15 am

Hello Gemma

Again I thank you very much. You have shed a lot of light on the LED Control board and you sure do make it sound very neat and a whole lot simpler. Yes, I am in no hurry at all as I will be studying my newly arrived build plans to see just what and how I want to change them, especially on details on the deck and the outer hull, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence
canoe21 { Lawrence }
PRESENT BUILD - viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1221 - GOLDEN HIND< Harold A. Underhill build plans, scale 1:60

Completed Build viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1172 HMS Bounty, scratch build, scale 1:60, using Amati build plans
zoly99sask

Postby zoly99sask » Fri May 12, 2017 6:30 pm

Hi Gemma,how is your build?Do you have any progress?
GemmaJF

Postby GemmaJF » Sat May 13, 2017 8:28 am

Hi Zoltan,

Mostly working on the Lantern photo etch at the moment. So no progress on the build to update. It is also that time of year when the weather is good here, so lots of garden and house jobs to do and not so much time for modelling!

When the lantern etch is complete I want to plan out the second planking. There are lots of little details like visible scarf joints, port frames etc I want to model, so will update on the progress with that as it happens. It may be that not much moves on the build log until November time when I will come in from the cold and wet and spend more time on the Pearl again. :handgestures-thumbup:
Current Build: ZHL Black Pearl 1:50

Next Up: Billing Boats Bounty 1:50

Researching for POB scratch build : HMS Ferret 1:48 (1711)

Projects: Arduino Lighting Project
JosephH

Postby JosephH » Sat May 13, 2017 2:51 pm

Great Job just read through the post looks great so far. I found the plans from the chinese guy to be really nice but will trace them into cad and rework them into a plank on frame Pie Rat ship and just use the pearl as a base for my own gnarly deadite (from evil dead series) ship for my 2 grandsons ages 5 and 7 wanting me to build them a pirate ship for their room and so we can go out R/C Sailing together

always got to please the wee ones so they keep bringing me the cheer

Just did some figuring guess im stuck small at the original size that chinese guy did it as if i goto the 48" total length I want it is 42" tall too tall for the SUV
Scale Model Design and Fabrication L.L.C.
http://www.proflooney.net

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”