The Black Pearl 1/50 first build!

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
GemmaJF
Petty Officer First Class

The Black Pearl 1/50 first build!

Postby GemmaJF » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:39 am

Welcome to my build log of the ZHL Black Pearl, my kit is the 1:50 "Golden Version 2016"

I am a complete newbie to model ships and this is my first build.

Link to ZHL site showing kit contents etc:

http://www.woodmodelboatbuilder.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=259

Links to Free plans of the Black Pearl from a Chinese modeler who scratch built the Pearl

Main Plans Page:http://mellpapa.lolipop.jp/BPzumen-01~07.html

Home page of build (has some extra links to more plans): http://mellpapa.lolipop.jp/BP001.html

Link to my Pinterest board of Black Pearl reference images

https://uk.pinterest.com/gemmajfairchil ... ack-pearl/

Link to Pirates Wikia Gallery, screen shots, studio set shots, plenty of very good detail shots for the model builder

http://pirates.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Pearl/Gallery

Other Black Pearl Build Logs:

On SOS:

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1082

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1091

Elsewhere:

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... &sandbox=1

I've made a start so will bring you all up to date

Kit inspection revealed a broken stern lantern, this was quickly replaced by ZHL.

Otherwise all was present and correct.

Bulkheads and decks fitted, roughly faired. Number 10 bulkhead was a little under-size, has strips fitted to fatten it up. Next step with this is to add bow and stern blocks in balsa:

IMG_6575.jpg
IMG_6575.jpg (327.73 KiB) Viewed 1481 times

The rear bulkhead has some detail on it including the face of "Poseidon", it was not well defined on the part, so I made a new face in air dry modeling clay:

IMG_6584.jpg
IMG_6584.jpg (323.32 KiB) Viewed 1481 times

Working on some tiny Lanterns to hang outside the cabin, 4mm diameter to fit around a 3mm LED

IMG_6583.jpg
IMG_6583.jpg (274.78 KiB) Viewed 1481 times

Stated some detailing work on "Jack's" cabin

IMG_6579.jpg
IMG_6579.jpg (298.81 KiB) Viewed 1481 times
Last edited by GemmaJF on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:39 am, edited 7 times in total.
Current Build: ZHL Black Pearl 1:50

Next Up: Billing Boats Bounty 1:50

Researching for POB scratch build : HMS Ferret 1:48 (1711)

Projects: Arduino Lighting Project
Frankberge
Petty Officer Third Class

Re: The Black Pearl 1/50 first build!

Postby Frankberge » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:30 am

Hi! Nice to meet another pirate! Looks like a nice start and good job with modeling the poseidon.
But what i really want to ask you is how did you sand down jacks cabin? That is excactly how i wanted to do with my own build in areas but i never really figure it out. I always end up overdoing it. Or it never looks realistic enough.
GemmaJF

Postby GemmaJF » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:50 pm

Hi Frank,

For Jack's cabin I painted all over black with Pébéo Studio Acrylic, mars black. Scraping with a scalpel and rubbing with 600 grit wet and dry got the effect of exposing the underlying wood. I used a small piece of wet and dry folded over and used the corner of it working slowly on each area. If it looks too much contrast, a very thin wash with the black evens it out. Then the salt weathering was added as a thin wash of Pébéo grey. :D

zoly99sask

Postby zoly99sask » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:25 pm

I think you have a good start here,I will follow this build too,can you say a few words about the quality of the kit?these chinese kits pretty much damonized in other forums.

Zoltan
GemmaJF

Postby GemmaJF » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:24 am

It is a shame I did not start the log from the beginning with a full kit review, but I had not found this site then.

The quality of this kit is in no way in question. The main ply parts are very accurately cut and as a complete novice to ship building the false keel and bulkheads went together very easily. Most of the smaller parts are a type of ply with a walnut effect finish. These are immaculately cut, and fit together with just tiny adjustment with a file. There is plenty of detail added such as false planking on the parts. I will try to post up more of the kit parts before painting in the rest of the build log. A nice innovation is laser guide lines for recessing the windows in "Jack's Cabin" extra parts meant it was possible to cut out the inner frames and recess them in the wall, then fit separate outer frames if one wanted to.

The only issue I had was a warped rear section of the false keel, this was pretty easy to cure but did take a little time but this could have been the same in any kit. The casting of the cannons is perhaps marginal, but that is being really picky and many people would change cannons that come with a kit in any case.

Instructions are mostly pictures of an actual build with some helpful hints. It takes a little study but everything needed to build the kit is covered. One complaint is no scale drawings. There are some plans sheets but they are not to full scale and more like schematics. It's not a huge gripe as the kit goes together very easily and all the information is in the pictures, but it would have been nice to check some points against a scale plan.

I got involved in some of the anti-ZHL stuff going on. You will hear from some people the kits are "Chinese Junk" (not referring to a ship). Judging from this kit I can only say this is misleading. I think it may be that many of the people saying these things have never even seen a ZHL kit.

As a novice to ship building the quality of the kit is really helping to keep me at it, it's a fairly simple build despite there being several decks and this is down to good well thought out design and excellent quality throughout.

GemmaJF

Postby GemmaJF » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:50 pm

Not much building done in last couple of days, but lots of things arriving for the next stages of the build and I had a good re-organisation in my indoor modelling room yesterday.

There is walnut supplied in the kit for the deck planking. This would look good unpainted to contrast the black of the rest of the ship, but I have several reference images that appear to show the deck of the Pearl could be a lighter color and less reddy brown looking than other planking such as that on "Jack's Cabin". So on recommendation from Arthur on Model Ship Builder, I purchased replacement Tanganyika for the decks from Cornwall Modal Boats. I went down to 4mm instead of the 4.5mm of the walnut supplied in the kit. The kit supplied walnut is also used for the second planking so I have lots spare now for that job.

IMG_6587.jpg
IMG_6587.jpg (186.25 KiB) Viewed 1411 times

At this point, I think it is worth asking the question of what is the "Black Pearl?", from a modelling perspective. She's obviously a fantasy ship but what references are there and what is really being modeled? There are some really good reference images on the internet of the 'ship' built for the 2nd and 3rd movies. This is a film set built on a real ship "The Sunset". The set was dismantled and rebuilt as the QAR for the fourth film so no longer exists. There were also large models built for filming and some indoor moving sets. I'm basing my build mostly on pictures of the set built on "The Sunset" and also the CGI in the 3rd film "At The Worlds End" where there is a long film sequence of the Black Pearl out of water stranded in "Davy Jone's Locker", here there are plenty of unusual angles that reveal interesting detail especially of the hull and also plenty of on deck shots.

This image is of "The Sunset" set, and I think shows the slightly lighter deck timber compared to the cabin.

bridge captains cabin.jpg
bridge captains cabin.jpg (218.49 KiB) Viewed 1411 times

Maybe looking again at this the deck planks could have gone right down to 3mm, they are certainly less wide than the bulwark planking in this shot.

The set in use, from "At the Worlds End"

canon main mast and rear detail_02 copy.jpg
canon main mast and rear detail_02 copy.jpg (170.15 KiB) Viewed 1411 times

It will be all change in the next movie no doubt, from what I have seen so far the Black Pearl has had a make-over and is looking much cleaner and tidier. No doubt work ordered by Hector Barbossa and not Jack lol. But this build is very much what the Pearl has been up to the end of the 3rd film.

paulv1958

Postby paulv1958 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:29 am

Looks fantastic

WIsh I had the spare time but I have a Santa Ana and a Victory to do for the next 5-10 years.
Its great to see kits on this site from any and all manufacturer's without bias or prejudice.

BTW I was the brunt of 'THE' forum group and Adnin barrage some time back. Same thing as you. It go to personal attacks from other members and unauthorized edits of my posts. I demanded written apologies and removal of offensive posts. Don't bother arguing, its not worth it. Its all about keeping the sponsors happy and personal pride. A Fanatic is a Fanatic :angry-banghead:

It should be about sharing info about the hobby, not the politics. BTW they are watching... :banana-rock: :text-lol: :text-thankyouyellow:

I follow with great interest

Paul
Already built:

Occre Albatros
AL Endeavour Longboat
AL Spanish Galleon Heritage Kit
Panart : Between Gun decks ( bashed)
Caldercraft Endeavour.
AL King of Mississippi
Corel Victory Cross Section

On shelf
AL Santa Ana ( Next Build)
Caldercraft HMS Victory
GemmaJF

Postby GemmaJF » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:05 pm

Thanks Paul,

Lets look to a brighter and more inclusive future for model making. None of us need people trying to force their opinions or tell us what we should think or do when it comes to hobbies.

GemmaJF

Postby GemmaJF » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:21 pm

Not much work done today, 6 Nations Rugby on the telly :D But have started the bow blocks.

Glued a couple of sheets of balsa together with PVA, then left overnight to set. Took rough lines from surrounding bulkheads:

IMG_6589.jpg
IMG_6589.jpg (97.98 KiB) Viewed 1337 times
:

A couple of parts fit to the front of the bow later in the build. I made paper templates of these parts (did not want to break or lose the kit parts) so I could check the curve of the filler block:

IMG_6592.jpg
IMG_6592.jpg (88.07 KiB) Viewed 1337 times

Blocks were then very roughly cut with a scroll saw (just happened to be handy in the shed where I do mucky work - lazy I know)

IMG_6593.jpg
IMG_6593.jpg (100.03 KiB) Viewed 1337 times

Then I started shaping. At this stage the block is not glued in, this allowed me to remove it from the hull for some of the shaping and also compare the two blocks later:

IMG_6595.jpg
IMG_6595.jpg (133.43 KiB) Viewed 1337 times

Using one of the paper templates to keep an eye on the curve at the front of the bow:

IMG_6601.jpg
IMG_6601.jpg (104.15 KiB) Viewed 1337 times

A note on a small detail, the block needs to progressively undercut the small deck piece that sits above it (I'm sure this deck has a proper name, happy if anyone wants to say what it is!). On the "Sunset" version of the Pearl, this deck fully overlaps the planking. Here the planking will start outside the outline of the deck and start to tuck under it:

IMG_6598 copy.jpg
IMG_6598 copy.jpg (104.03 KiB) Viewed 1337 times

Not gluing the first block in made it easier to make the second, as the first could be used as a template:

IMG_6604.jpg
IMG_6604.jpg (112.05 KiB) Viewed 1337 times

All the shaping done, I fitted the blocks. For most of the build so far I have used Titebond, for some reason though instinct made me go with PVA for the balsa. Perhaps a memory that it is easier to sand:

IMG_6608.jpg
IMG_6608.jpg (144.02 KiB) Viewed 1337 times

I am going to fill between the next bulkhead as well. Couple of reasons I feel this is needed, will explain with pictures when I do it.

zoly99sask

Postby zoly99sask » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:23 pm

Hi,looking good Gemma,I have an idea for you,maybe you should try using polyurethane foam between the bulkheads instead wood blocks, easier to cut and send,also faster too,I planning to try it on my next build.

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”