Build Log: Panart Armed Pinnace

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderator: zoly99sask

Graham
Petty Officer Second Class

Re: Build Log: Panart Armed Pinnace

Postby Graham » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:03 pm

Planking at the bow ........
f.JPG
f.JPG (50.38 KiB) Viewed 42 times

g.JPG
g.JPG (39.41 KiB) Viewed 42 times

....... and the stern
h.JPG
h.JPG (56.66 KiB) Viewed 42 times

Sanded and stained ...........
i.JPG
i.JPG (85.74 KiB) Viewed 42 times
Graham

Re: Build Log: Panart Armed Pinnace

Postby Graham » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:20 pm

Taking a break from the hull, so I'll do some hatch covers. Tackling the gratings first the English(?) instructions advise 'From the four grill-elements by using the indispensable number of milled bars'. Yes, I had to read it a few times, too; sometimes Google Translate isn't all it is cracked up to be, I guess!
Before I fitted the decks I made paper templates of the hatch holes to help with the shaping -

a.JPG
a.JPG (41.27 KiB) Viewed 34 times

In building the gratings I found that there was not enough lengths of the 'indispensable number of milled bars'. This is as far as I got with four small gratings still to build -

b.JPG
b.JPG (64.25 KiB) Viewed 34 times

So I had to pull apart some of the gratings I had already built (luckily I had not yet used any glue) and replace the pieces with off-cuts from the longer edges, the joint being on the underside so it is not seen. Anyway, we got there in the end -

d.JPG
d.JPG (45.87 KiB) Viewed 34 times

The remaining hatches are planked and I stuck the planking directly onto the paper templates for the appropriate hatch. In order to give some strength for sanding/shaping I stuck some battens on the underside as shown -

e.JPG
e.JPG (71.47 KiB) Viewed 34 times

Shaped and ready to stain. Note that the hatches are planked in a port/stbd direction, not stem to stern as a deck is, so it should give an interesting contrast -

f.JPG
f.JPG (351.59 KiB) Viewed 34 times

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”