Model Shipways Sultana

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
msully
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

Model Shipways Sultana

Postby msully » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:58 pm

This begins my Build Log of the Model Shipways Sultana. I appreciate any support offered.

Thanks
msully
msully
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

Re: Model Shipways Sultana

Postby msully » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:06 pm

I have read the instruction booklet and several other sources pretty thoroughly, and delayed the inevitable as long as I could. It's time to take a blade to this beautiful block of balsa and see if I don't just make myself some much needed kindling. I suppose, being the new guy, everyone else would be bored to see a photo of the laser-cut block supplied out of the box, so I won't post that, but I suspect it's probably as beautiful as it will ever be, poor thing. As I pick up my knife, and steady my hand, and get one more sip of Merlot, it looks like a sad stump. However, in my mind, she's the Wasa!
Stoyne
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Stoyne » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:03 am

Hello Msully,

Sultana has a beautiful hull shape. This will be an interesting build, I will follow it with a great interest. Good luck!

Regards,
Stoyne
IN GOD WE TRUST
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby GaryM » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:40 pm

This company makes some nice kits. Take your time and having studied what to do and reading what others have shared will get you through it. Just have fun.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
msully
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

Postby msully » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:36 pm

It seems more difficult than I anticipated just getting the time to sit down, focus, and touch my poor, neglected block of wood. Mostly, been working and battling the snow up here in the Northland! Tonight, my goal is simple; I want to make the templates and get a mounting block ready. We've had 12" of snow in the last 24 hours, so first I'll go snowblow, shower, help make supper, and pour wine. Wine seems to ease the build, or at least make the block of wood look like a great Ship-of-the-Line :)
Donnie

Postby Donnie » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:01 pm

Well, me for one is ready to see some action on this one !! I am ready to see some wood fly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
msully
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

Postby msully » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:05 pm

Aye, aye, Senior Chief!
I have the templates cut out. Yup, sure enough, they don't match the plan lines too awfully well. So, I think I can handle fixing that, but, what are the little hash tags for on the templates?
And, so, next, as you ALL know, and I'm just learning about, I think I have to mark the ship lines on my poor, neglected block of wood. That sound right? As far the "wood flying," Senior Chief, I'm not whittling a yard gnome here, Sir, I'm going for a delicate lady, a colonial ship with sensuous lines.....time, patience, planning, thinking, visualizing, and gallons of wine, are required......so, obviously, I'm starting with the wine. Finally, I wood post a picture, but i'm afraid of boring you all to death, before your time, as it were. I'm sure you've all seen a block of wood, and, if not, just say the word, and I'll send a photo.
Donnie

Postby Donnie » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:47 pm

Yep, a picture would be nice instead of using our imagination. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
msully
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

Postby msully » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:26 pm

Hmmmm......I think maybe I would prefer your imagination!
OK, OK, I'll get a picture posted!
msully
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

Postby msully » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:39 pm

How do I know which twig to select from the supply bag for ship parts, specifically, for the keel, stem, stern post, and in general for future reference?
My wife is headed to Florida for five days, so I'm looking forward to a marathon model session!

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”