Enterprise Maryland 1799

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderator: zoly99sask

jlowe1224
Seaman
Seaman

Enterprise Maryland 1799

Postby jlowe1224 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:14 pm

I recently started this model ship and I haven't found any other builds of this exact model. There are similar ones but small features are different which are throwing me off. Im stuck on beginning to plank the hull, despite hours of research.
jlowe1224
Seaman
Seaman

Re: Enterprise Maryland 1799

Postby jlowe1224 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:35 pm

This is my first build and the stern construction is throwing me off. Here are a few picture of the issue I have with beginning planking the hull. figuring out how the top few of the stern fit is driving me insane, and I think my model is off on the back because there is no way I can have the top board (whatever the board is called that is right under the deck surface) be straight all the way to the back because there is just empty space. Looking at other builds, same model but different company, the back is slightly different, where the two blocks in the back come down much further, similar to that shown in the diagram. As of now it seems impossible to plank the stern with the way it is. It really just doesn't make any sense.
Attachments
diagram.jpg
diagram.jpg (43.52 KiB) Viewed 499 times
sideview.jpg
sideview.jpg (25.57 KiB) Viewed 499 times
edge.jpg
edge.jpg (18.68 KiB) Viewed 499 times
view.jpg
view.jpg (15.68 KiB) Viewed 499 times
example1.jpg
example1.jpg (60.66 KiB) Viewed 499 times
jlowe1224
Seaman
Seaman

Postby jlowe1224 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:36 pm

more pictures of another build
Attachments
example2.jpg
example2.jpg (21.13 KiB) Viewed 499 times
example3.jpg
example3.jpg (51.16 KiB) Viewed 499 times
example4.jpg
example4.jpg (53.33 KiB) Viewed 499 times
Donnie
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby Donnie » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:14 pm

Hi jlowe,
I am just now checking in on some post and saw yours. Well, I have a few questions:
1) and that is who is the manufacture of this kit? I found a Manufacture Constructo Ship kits. Is this the one?
2) Also, most all kits come with a color or a at least a Black & White booklet that helps with real photos of the hull being constructed in sequence. Parts list, etc.
3) where did you buy this kit? I guess this is similar to question #1. Reason is that sometimes folks will buy off of eBay and a lot of modelers get the box "not knowing" that very important manuals have been removed from the box contents.

Without this, just looking at the drawings, I see you have this red line extended all the way back to the stern, but on the real drawings - that lower deck seems to terminate right at the abutment of the upper deck (aft) or rear and the base bottom deck, which seems reasonable.

From your other installments of photos (not the other work that you show), but your work, it seems that you progressed onward to planking the hull regardless of the problem at hand.

I await your response ! Good luck with it. Maybe someone else out there has a voice in this.

Donnie
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
jlowe1224
Seaman
Seaman

Postby jlowe1224 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:33 pm

1.) It is a "Holzbausatz wooden kit" according to the box, which seems to be a German company. Makes sense because all the instructions are in german.
2.) The instructions are poor, it just give general instructions to plank the hull, but with really no explanation at all. no instructions in the book about doing the masts as well so I will be going off the diagram for most of it.
3.) This kit was my grandfathers that he never got around to building, and I suspect it to be 30-60 years old. I haven't found the exact model anywhere online but the constructo kit seems very similar, maybe a second generation of the kit.

I haven't started planking the hull yet, those pictures were from another's build log of the same (constructo version) of the kit. I am just comparing how the stern on my model doesn't line up properly so I don't know how to run the first planks .

When I added those filler blocks at the stern, I made it cut off at where the keel piece of the stern goes, maybe I made them wrong and it needs to extend down further? Its incredibly hard for me to explain without physically showing you me trying to run the planks at the stern, so I will do my best to explain with words.
Attachments
IMG_9609.JPG
IMG_9609.JPG (38.21 KiB) Viewed 475 times
Donnie

Postby Donnie » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:48 pm

Wow !
Well, not what I expected as a reply. I would say that this is worth the adventure to accomplish something considering the circumstances around it. Yes, you have a challenge with the hull. I remember painfully as my actual first wooden kit was the Bluenose II by Model Shipways and when I got to the stern, I just did not have any understanding of how that stern went together with what "they" called the "fashion piece" - that drove me crazy and I just moved on.
I wish I could be of more help - I think maybe with more info it will probably help me to help you. Or at least that is what I hope.

Donnie
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
jlowe1224
Seaman
Seaman

Postby jlowe1224 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:54 pm

Thats awesome, my grandpa also made a Bluenose II and its actually in our basement right now!

Well, I feel like I would be able to plank it if it were the same as the constructo kit, but the fact that the very back of my model seems 5mm too high, it seems to complicate everything. Do my stern filler blocks seem right/ shaped correctly? I can send more picture if need be, I really want to get some progress!
pebbleworm
Petty Officer Third Class

Postby pebbleworm » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:27 pm

I would just extend the transom frames down to meet the straight line of the deck clamps/deck lines. It also really helps to know how real ships went together. "The Built Up Ship Model" by Charles G. Davis is pretty clear and inexpensive, if almost 100 years old. There are a lot of poorly engineered ship kits out there, sadly.
jlowe1224
Seaman
Seaman

Postby jlowe1224 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:33 pm

What exactly do you mean "extend the transform frames downward"? are you meaning to extend those back blocks downward until it meets the deck line?
pebbleworm

Postby pebbleworm » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:36 pm

Exactly. The deck line should flow smoothly so modify the frames to make it do that.

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”