AL 1/50 Le Renard, the Fox

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
Neophyte
Seaman
Seaman

AL 1/50 Le Renard, the Fox

Postby Neophyte » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:55 pm

Well, Christmas is upon us again. All the hussle and mayhem is about over.... 12 grands :cry:
So, thought about what I wanted to build during these cold winter nights. Have several to pick from....the monster Victory to the Chesapeake Skipjack.
But do not want to take on a subject years in the build! Happened to see this little fella and it peeked my interest.
AL's Le Renard, 1/50 scale, single plank hull.
French armed vessel.
I've reached that age where my brain went from "you probably shouldn't say that" to "what tha hey, let's see what happens". :cool:
Neophyte
Seaman
Seaman

Re: AL 1/50 Le Renard, the Fox

Postby Neophyte » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:04 pm

Here is a photo of a built kit. Not a overly complicated, but really a good beginner kit.
Just the thing for a not so overly complicated build.
Rick :ugeek:
Attachments
IMG_1705.JPG
A nice little French Ship
IMG_1705.JPG (57.33 KiB) Viewed 552 times
I've reached that age where my brain went from "you probably shouldn't say that" to "what tha hey, let's see what happens". :cool:
Neophyte
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Neophyte » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:35 pm

Tech Data:
70 ton
Cutter
10 corronades
4 long guns
Crew: 46
Cpt: Robert Surcouf

On 9 September at 5:00, and lasting thru the night.
Renard successfully engaged the British 16 gun Alphea. Crewed by 80 elite sailors. Combat was brutal and bloody. At 3:00AM, the Alphea took two hits to the powder magazine and exploded.
No survivors.
Cpt Surcouf returned to France with only 13 able bodied sailors.
Neophyte
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Neophyte » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:57 pm

Here is what comes in the kit. This is one of AL's newest offerings. There was another version of this kit, of which there were a few deferences.
Have the keel and hull frames cut from sheets.
Trying to decide if I want to go ahead and nail sub deck to frame, then plank or place the sub deck before attaching. I have always done deck planking after attachment. But research has revealed many plank before!
I am impressed with the quality and care of packaging
AL has done with this little beauty.
Only complaint is no plans! :?
Cheers Rick
Attachments
IMG_1708.JPG
IMG_1708.JPG (50.69 KiB) Viewed 531 times
Neophyte
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Neophyte » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:08 am

Not much to show. Pieces fit well.
Rick
Attachments
IMG_1710.JPG
IMG_1710.JPG (31.18 KiB) Viewed 531 times
garyt
Seaman
Seaman

Postby garyt » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:11 am

A nice subject choice and a nice start to the build
That is what makes this hobby so fascinating, they don't all have to be massive ships of the line, although they are impressive:) there are many smaller ships with a lot of detail and pleasing lines.
Good luck with the build and I look forward to seeing her progress
Neophyte
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Neophyte » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:18 pm

garyt wrote:A nice subject choice and a nice start to the build
That is what makes this hobby so fascinating, they don't all have to be massive ships of the line, although they are impressive:) there are many smaller ships with a lot of detail and pleasing lines.
Good luck with the build and I look forward to seeing her progress
Glad you approve. I have a AL Victory and a Billing Boats Wasa tucked away, along with a few more. I have not built a ship for a few years and did not want to jump into a intensive build after a hiatus from chopping wood and huffing saw dust. I am also a huge fan of Cutters. There is a gracefulness to these small warriors.
Spent today squaring the edges of the keel. Laser cut parts have been a God send to modeler's. No more nicked fingers trying to cut out parts.
But, if one looks really close, you will notice the backside of the burn thru is ever so slightly not level.
So a quick go with a sanding block saves much grief when squaring. And I started that process today.
Also built the first Jig today. I have done this for every vessel I have built in the past. Start straight end straight.
Attachments
IMG_1717.JPG
IMG_1717.JPG (35.5 KiB) Viewed 513 times
Neophyte
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Neophyte » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:16 pm

Notification sent today, shipped. Fast service. Small size build slip. :banana-dance:
Attachments
IMG_1719.JPG
IMG_1719.JPG (16.22 KiB) Viewed 505 times
Neophyte
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Neophyte » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:20 pm

By the way.....check out HobbyZone USA for us Yanks.
Pretty neat assortment of items for the ship builder.
Will be ordering the large build slip after Christmas.
Adios
Rick
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby GaryM » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:18 pm

Glad to see you decided to come back. Nice looking kit to begin with. Should make a pleasing model.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”