The black pearl 1:41 Zhl

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderators: Aussie048, zoly99sask

Frankberge
Petty Officer Third Class

The black pearl 1:41 Zhl

Post by Frankberge » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:48 pm

Hello everyone! This will be my first post in this forum, i would first like to thank you for letting me in and it seems like a great place to be for many years to come!

Now!.. i have built some ships before, but this will be me first time reporting in online about it. Im looking forward to get feedback and especially tips and tricks to make something better. I thought i was decent building kits until i opened this cyber world here. So now i know im just a baby when it comes to modelbuilding.

This log will feature the black pearl from zhl. Its an chinese company that has done an outstanding job, i was first very skeptical to buy from a chinese company, but the kit is better than most other kits i have seen, in fact i think its the best ive seen.
This is a ship i have loved since i saw the movies, its surrounded with mystery and the photo of it coming out from the fog is just chilling. And the best, when the cannons fire. The exploding sound on a good surround system.... Its no wonder i fell in love

I started this build about a month ago, so the first posts will not be as informative as i would like, because i did not intend to start a log when i first started the build.
But ill throw out the work done already and then we will take it from there

So first i made the keel and the ribs, im using a bulding slip from hobbyzone located in poland. This has a feature so i can check that everything is aligned, i hope. I assembled that slip and that could be a problem, because i am assuming it is correctly assembled and aligned as well.
Everything was very fit and there was not really any problems

Then i started on the lowest decking, i used an x acto knife to cut the grooves deeper and "dirtier". I think the machine cut grooves was to perfect, so i made the worse.
I had to be a little careful her to not cut to deep and hold the blade at an specific angle as i wanted to angle the lines on both sides a little as well,

Next post i will begin on the structions on the lowest deck, like the prison, some supplies and some painting techniques ive chosen for this build
Last edited by Frankberge on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frankberge

Re: The black pearl 1:41

Post by Frankberge » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:15 pm

Now on to the structions on the lowest deck

I started to paint the jail that is on the lowest deck, since the i want the black pearl to be dark and old i wanted to create some kind of rust effect, on the metal parts of the jail, i think i might overdone it a little with the rust effect but im gonna leave it the way it became.

To achieve this effect i used a painting series from citadel, its paint for miniature figures they use in a game called warhammer. Im not sure how the game works but i know they do allot of impressive painting on their figures.

I first spray primed the cobber parts with a black color, Then i used a texture paint called "Typhus corrosion" that leaves a gritty effect and will make dry paint leave marks on the grit. Then i brushed random around where i already painted with a very brown color called "mournefang brown"
After this i used a dry paint with a very orange color that is meant for this rust effect. The paint is called "Ryza Rust" This brush is very stiff and barely dipped in the paint. I stroke the brush over some toilet paper to get rid of almost all paint on the brush before i brush the parts lightly where i want the rust to really show.
At the end i go over with a wash/shade called "agrax earthshade" to make the colors blend a little better.

Frankberge

Post by Frankberge » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:32 pm

Now i added the jail and painted the deck and ribs.
I thinned down black acrylic paint and sanded the parts randomly, then i washed it with a paint called "agrax earthshade"
This technique is used for all wooden parts within the ship

Frankberge

Post by Frankberge » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:50 pm

I continued the work in lower part of the deck and it has now come to some of the supplies, this parts are made of resin. I first tried paint some of the bags without priming first. This was a huge mistake, when i touched the part after it should be dried the paint just flaked off immediately. So i removed the paint and primed them first black, then a thin layer of grey after. Then painted them with different acrylic colors. Now everything seems ok and the paint stays on. The lesson is: Dont try to cheat and skip time with paint :lol:

Graham
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer First Class

Post by Graham » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:36 pm

Hi and welcome. Nice job on the detail painting and I will follow the build with interest on what weathering techniques you use to give the ship that unique battered but impressive look. I remember painting Warhammer figures with my sons and the odd names the manufacturer gave the paints - happy days. Regards.

Frankberge

Post by Frankberge » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:13 pm

Thank you Graham! Im not quite sure what i will do yet. But i am thinking about making some effects that involve tar/seagrass and maybe some shells and mussels. Im not sure how im gonna be able to do that so it looks good but i will try to figure it out while im working on other parts of the ship. There is allot of things running thru my head im just not sure how to execute those things with my knowledge im sitting on right now.

Yes the warhammer paint has the strangest name. I dont know if its the worst names or if its clever. But i was pretty confused in the shop looking at all the paint. Luckily a girl who worked there came over to help and explain what the diffrent paints did.

Donnie
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Donnie » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:56 am

VERY Nice ! I really like that building board. Where did you get that. Did you design that on your own. I notice the base platform has notches already made into it.

Donnie
Current Build: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

"War Ships are safe at harbor, but that is not what they were made for"

pebbleworm

Post by pebbleworm » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:31 am

That is looking very good! I've found the Chinese kits to be very well engineered and with better quality materials than the European manufacturers.

paulv1958
Petty Officer Second Class
Petty Officer Second Class

Post by paulv1958 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:49 pm

Hi

The baseboard mentioned is available in the US here
http://www.hobbyzone.biz/psm01.shtml

or
www.hobbyzone.pl for EU

US poor buggers in AUS have t0 order from EU and cause US Postage is a killer.
eitherway its not cheap...need to work out if its worth it....

MSW thread..
http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/top ... ip-models/

Sorry if I hijacked thread...
Already built:

Occre Albatros
AL Endeavour Longboat
AL Spanish Galleon Heritage Kit
Panart : Between Gun decks ( bashed)
Caldercraft Endeavour.
AL King of Mississippi
Corel Victory Cross Section

On shelf
AL Santa Ana ( Next Build)
Caldercraft HMS Victory

Frankberge

Post by Frankberge » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:55 pm

Yes! Thats absolutely correct paulv. I ordered the building slip on hobbyzone.pl. luckily i know a polish guy who travels to his homecountry allot who could pick it up and take it home to norway.
It came as a kit, but it was fairly simple to assemble. Its huge and very heavy. Im not sure if it would be worth the cost with shipping and taxes/vax included tho.

The black pearl kit until now has been so well made i havent needed to do any adjustments to the keel and ribs. Everything just snapped into place where it should sit. I checked the angles and measurments multiple times after gluing as well but it seems good. It is actually very annoying as i bought the building slip expecting there would be a ton of work to do. :lol: But i guess i will get more use of it later and with other builds in the future :D

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”