Mayflower Model Shipsways MS2020

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderators: Aussie048, zoly99sask

Donnie
Master Chief Petty Officer

Mayflower Model Shipsways MS2020

Post by Donnie » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:14 pm

I started this Build Log of the Mayflower. As it turns out, the ship was a little more challenging than I thought. So, therefore, as it turns out eric61 wanted to have the Mayflower to continue it to a successful build. I look forward to eric61 taking over this project. It is obvious that I did make many post, but at some point, you will see that he took over this project.

This starts the Build Log of the Model Shipways MS2020 Mayflower. I am sure that it is a very familiar sight to many of you. At some point soon, I will begin. This was purchase during a special sale at Model Expo.

The Box and contents as usual:
Thanks for watching and comments.

Donnie
Last edited by Donnie on Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Build: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

"War Ships are safe at harbor, but that is not what they were made for"

Donnie

Re: Mayflower Model Shipsways MS2020

Post by Donnie » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:20 pm

Just as the instructions said, I started with adding the Rabbet Plank, then the bearding line, and cut out some Bulkheads.

popeye

Post by popeye » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:03 am

very nice start Donnie........looks like a quality kit. how is the laser cutting?

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:02 pm

The laser cutting is very precise and goes all the way through. The (laser)cut has a considerable amount of width to it that an exacto blade fits nicely into the grooves so that you can fairly easily cut the part out. The false keel and bulkheads are made out of some ply that I am not familiar with. The ply seems to be from some hardwood type, (tough). I don't think it is pine - But, then again, I am not an expert on woods either.

I wlll attaching the Bulkheads this evening. Oh, the bulkheads each have laser engraved numbers / letters as to the order of fitment. This is also shown on plans. No guesswork hear at all. This would be an excellent starter for a first time POB builder.

eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Re: Artesania Latina Marina II Fishing Boat

Post by eric61 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:56 pm

Hi Donnie, the Mayflower, what an historic ship, pity there is no monument to it (or is there?) If the Mayflower did not sail to America and some other ship/country did, how would America be today, would it even be called America?
When I was going to school in South Africa in the early 60's (63 - 66) in history class we learnt more about the Mayflower, Columbus's three ships and the Endeavour that we did about Jan van Riebeek's ship, I can't even remember its name.
Looking forward to the next installment.
Regards
Eric
Cook's Endeavour - current,
Sovereign of the Seas - current (deAgostini)
In queue: Marina II Fishing Boat by Artesania Latina
In queue: Mayflower by Model Shipways

eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Re: Artesania Latina Marina II Fishing Boat

Post by eric61 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:08 pm

Hi Donnie, just finalise my last post the three ships were Dromedaris, Reijger and Goede Hoop as far as I am aware there are no models of these ships.
Eric
Cook's Endeavour - current,
Sovereign of the Seas - current (deAgostini)
In queue: Marina II Fishing Boat by Artesania Latina
In queue: Mayflower by Model Shipways

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:57 pm

Update on the Frame assembly:
I had to sand out the slots to make things fit easier. With no sanding, no way the Bulkheads will fit. Apparently, the slots are the same width as the thickness of the keel. As a rule of thumb, you have to factor in that two dimensions cannot be the same. One dimension must be slightly different. Thats like having a perfect 1.00 diameter hole expecting a perfect 1.00 diameter rod to fit through. One of the dimensions has to be more or less. No huge biggie though.

I also notice that the Laser cutting is not on a very good 90° angle. Slots had to be squared up some. Its almost like the laser machine needs alignment or something. Again, no biggie, just an observation. I guess the thicker of the wood, it would show up more the angle offsets.

GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Post by GaryM » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:09 am

I wonder if the difference could be that they cut it in the summer and the difference in humidity is enough to make it too tight.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal

popeye

Post by popeye » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:59 am

quite a few bulkheads.......this will be a big 1-up when it's time to plank her. are you going to fill the bow contour with balsa? I see lots of folks do it. I don't, since if the planks are bent well, i've never needed it. looks nice ;)

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:17 am

Popeye,
I am not into fillers either - I usually bend my planks before attaching. The BH's are well close knit spaced that I think it is not necessary.

It is unfortunate, that the keel is already starting to show signs (from looking down onto the frame) of a slight 'bow'. Not a twist, but the frame wants to make this subtle turn off to one side. There are several strips of Gun Port Framing that when installed should "pull" that back in straight.
This is my fault for not dry fitting every single bulkhead before gluing up.

Popeye, when you asked about the laser cutting, my first impression was the "parts" looked very well cut out (the pattern that is). However, I realize that the cut vertically has about a 5° or less offset.

I do not know anything about laser cutting devices and what robotic pattern they make as they "travel" around cutting the part out. I do not know if the laser "head" adjust itself while it is making cuts. So therefore, I can not make any judgements or substantial criticisms.....and I won't, because, I will be the one that winds up making a fool out of myself.

i do not want my observation and opinion discourage anyone from buying this Model as what i have seen, it is really a very nice kit so far and it will make a great model in the end. i STILL say that this is an excellent starter for those wanting to venture off into their first Bulkhead kit.

Here is a graphic I put together trying to demonstrate. It is what it is just based on my observation. I am not being critical of M.E. b/c I do not have any other facts to back up - I am just saying this is what I see and it may not be on all Bulkheads, but what I am saying is that I should have dry fitted all the parts before gluing up. i know, the instructions said to dry fit, but that is a common thing that folks do (except for me being an idiot). Oh, the instructions are very good, large manual that would not leave anyone guessing. Very comprehensive and well written !!!

[a side bar here: I have had so much going on in my life lately, when I sit down to any model or anything, it is a amazing that I can do anything right these days. My Mom has had multiple surgery on eye - taking her back/forth to docs, and things going on in my personal life. I don't know the bow from stern anymore.]

I think we all realize that any ship we buy has to have some adjustments to it. I feel like I am going backwards instead of forwards with this building process. Maybe I should resort to saying I am an amateur again :oops:

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”