Hms snake in Scotland

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
garyt
Seaman
Seaman

Hms snake in Scotland

Postby garyt » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:05 am

Hi everyone I have been lurking for a while reading and following builds with interest.
A wee bit about me I'm the wrong side of 50 a cooper to trade and have built things for as long as I can remember from plastic kits free flight balsa to full composite high performance sailplanes. I restored a traditional day yacht 21ft plank on wood and recently finished a complete ground up build of a lotus 7 type kit car
So having done a few yacht kits I got a kit of hms snake a bit bigger but something for the dark nights :)
So I have started her and have just about finished planking I will add photos asap
This will be a steady build as I potter along To Graham thanks for prompting me to start a build log and for the advice in yours it will prove invaluable I'm sure and to Donnie thanks for adding me
garyt
Seaman
Seaman

Re: Hms snake in Scotland

Postby garyt » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:27 am

DSC_0448.JPG
DSC_0448.JPG (93.7 KiB) Viewed 421 times
DSC_0444.JPG
DSC_0444.JPG (80.16 KiB) Viewed 421 times
DSC_0443.JPG
DSC_0443.JPG (84.86 KiB) Viewed 421 times
DSC_0442.JPG
DSC_0442.JPG (91.43 KiB) Viewed 421 times
DSC_0446.JPG
DSC_0446.JPG (88.64 KiB) Viewed 421 times
DSC_0447.JPG
DSC_0447.JPG (91.01 KiB) Viewed 421 times
DaveC
Petty Officer Second Class

Postby DaveC » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:09 am

Gary, your trade is serving you well in your endeavor here. Nice work and welcome aboard!

Dave
Seattle
Sometimes it's necessary to go a long distance out of the way in order to come back a short distance correctly.
garyt
Seaman
Seaman

Postby garyt » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:14 pm

Hi Dave thank you we try to keep the liquids in with boats we try to keep it out
So really the skills are very similar
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby GaryM » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:20 pm

Welcome aboard Gary. Glad to see you as a member that shares his work. Feel free to ask any questions. There is a lot of knowledgeable people on this site and I have an extensive library that might have all the answers you need. To me, this is the best hobby around and like you I have tried others. However, seeing your complex sailing vessel finished in cased is the best feeling of them all.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
Graham

Postby Graham » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:23 am

Nice one, Gary. Your photos brought back memories of the same stage which I was at a year ago. However, there has been a house move and a long holiday since then so, in reality, I have been on my own build for around six months in total. Looks like you've made a great start and we'll all look forward to your future posts. Regards.
garyt
Seaman
Seaman

Postby garyt » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:24 pm

so a wee bit wintry here today started out bright and there as a soup n sweet in the next town over the hills so cold but bright I set off in the 7 to be confronted with gales hail and sleet , an interesting drive this morning and i'm sure that I am now branded as the village lunatic :)
anyhow I digress after getting home changing and thawing out I started copper plating, therapheutic..... maybe, addictive.... definitely so have just finished one side (will trim to waterline once all is dry) started at about 1pm and just finished now7.20pm with a wee break for some coffee and supper
not really sure of the exact patternation but after looking at numerous photos and seeing all manner of applications I started at the keel and worked up wards ...........

DSC_0450.JPG
DSC_0450.JPG (122.55 KiB) Viewed 390 times
DSC_0449.JPG
DSC_0449.JPG (104.04 KiB) Viewed 390 times
popeye
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Postby popeye » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:10 am

welcome to the site........I see you started right out of the gate :D very nice start........the hull looks great! coppering looks the treat too! ;-)

:text-welcomewave:
finished builds:
Nordkap 476 / Cux 87 / Gundalow
Mary Ann / Susan A. / M&M fun ship
Phylly C & Denny-Zen / AmericA
Andrea Gail

in cue:
Gothenborg
Half Moon
Boulogne Etaples
trawler Syborn
U.S.S. United States
Holiday Harbor
Titanic
garyt
Seaman
Seaman

Postby garyt » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:15 pm

Hi popeye thanks for the welcome and kind words. I'm thoroughly enjoying the build the competing was shall we say therapeutic :)
Will put a couple of pics up of the coppering once finished probably at the weekend Then I will plan ahead I have drilled the keel as I will mount her on a nice piece of oak once completed
Gary
Donnie

Postby Donnie » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:28 pm

Gary,
I can tell already that this is going to be a mighty fine ship !!!

Donnie
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”