H.M.A.V Bounty, Constructo 1:50

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
Sgtmik
Petty Officer Second Class

Re: H.M.A.V Bounty, Constructo 1:50

Postby Sgtmik » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:22 pm

Thanks Donnie,
I really do appreciate all you advice and help. :text-thankyouyellow: :D As a matter of fact: I learned how to rig shrouds and dead eyes from watching your you-tube video. :music-rockout: :handgestures-salute:
Regards
Mike

Current Builds : HMAV Bounty
Caravel Santa Maria
Completed builds: HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat
H.M. Bark Endeavour
Builds in Cue: H.M.S. Endeavour's Long Boat
U.S.S. Constitution
Sgtmik

Postby Sgtmik » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:25 pm

Hi Eric,
As One pirate to another: RR Matey! :D :D :D
:music-rockout: :handgestures-salute:
Regards
Mike

Caravel Santa Maria
H.M. Bark Endeavour
U.S.S. Constitution
Canoe21

Postby Canoe21 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:26 am

Donnie wrote:Well, then you all would not like what I did. I cut up all of my OcCre sails that came with the box. I did not feel like making sails, nor did I know how, I took the path of least resistance. Chopped up what I had !!! :shock:

Yep, it depends. On a "partially" furled sail, you will want to cut about 50% of the sail off. But, I found in a special way. In my humble opinion, you do not want to just cut straight across about half way down. You really need to cut a round drop (bulk) in the middle and lesser material on the ends.
THIS DEMONSTRATES A TYPICAL CUT PATTERN
SAILPREP.jpg
THIS DEMONSTRATES A TYPICAL CUT PATTERN
yardforemastlowertopgallantsail09.jpg
THIS IS THE MID SECTION ROLLED UP AND MOISTENED W WATER TO FORM
yardforemastlowertopgallantsail12.jpg
yardforemastlowertopgallantsail14.jpg
ENDS OF SAILS CUT AND RIGGING TUCKED IN AND GLUED
yardforemastlowertopgallantsail23-large.jpg
THIS IS TOPGALLANT WHICH DOES NOT HAVE A LOT OF MATERIAL. GRAB THE MIDDLE OF SAIL SECTION
AND PULL DOWN WHILE IT IS WET AND EASY TO MANAGE TO "CREATE" THE FURL LOOK

yardforemastlowertopgallantsail24.jpg
I hope this helps and did not take over your build log with all of this. If you do not wish to clutter up your log with this info, just let me know and I will be glad to remove it. No problems. Some folks are picky about this.

One more thing, to do a "full" furl then you would need to then cut off even more material as the furl will definelty be tight and I have seen some pictures of the sails sitting on top of the yards furled.
The point is that ALL of the rigging will still be on the ship. The sails are taken down if stowed, but the running rigging is tied up on the yards.

Ok, one last point to "ponder" ;-) If you still want to do FULL SAILS out, then think about this. I suggest HIGHLY to adjust your yards with a slight offset. In other words, do not run your yards at 90° in relation to the mast , but rather at 80 ° or less to the mast. A ship at sea at full sail is going to have the yards turned to capture the wind. It is a little extra effort, but if you really want this model to stand out, then have your sails blown out in full wind blown position then turn your yards in just a little !!!!

If you DO furl your sails, you MUST lower your yards to the tops. Yards are hauled DOWN if not in sail.

Donnie

Hello Donnie

Great ideas you have for furling one's sails, I just may give your ideas a try. I for one like to see the sails on a ship but they do tend to hide a lot of the detail and the rigging. By furling a few of the lower sails one could have the best of both worlds, ENJOY.

Regards Canoe21 { Lawrence }
canoe21 { Lawrence }
PRESENT BUILD - viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1221 - GOLDEN HIND< Harold A. Underhill build plans, scale 1:60

Completed Build viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1172 HMS Bounty, scratch build, scale 1:60, using Amati build plans
Canoe21

Postby Canoe21 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:34 am

Hello Mike

Great job you are doing on your Bounty, sure do love all of that fine detail that you are so skillfully adding to your ship, very nice, ENJOY.

canoe21 { Lawrence }
PRESENT BUILD - viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1221 - GOLDEN HIND< Harold A. Underhill build plans, scale 1:60

Completed Build viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1172 HMS Bounty, scratch build, scale 1:60, using Amati build plans
Aussie048
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer First Class

Postby Aussie048 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:51 am

Hi Mike

I just just caught up with your build of the H.M..V Bounty.

You have done a excellent job on her. I will have more of a read on the build log tomorrow.

Cheers
Geoff
Current Build Link:-
Mamoli - USS Constitution

On Hold Builds:-
Santa Maria
Norfolk Sloop Delxue

Ship Modelling Society of Victoria

***Live , Listen and Learn***
Sgtmik

Postby Sgtmik » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:39 am

Hi Geoff,
When I started with SOS I had no idea of what a build log should be, :oops: but I'm learning and hope to be back building soon.
:music-rockout: :handgestures-salute:
Regards
Mike

Caravel Santa Maria
H.M. Bark Endeavour
U.S.S. Constitution
Canoe21

Postby Canoe21 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:58 pm

Hi Mike

Great work you are doing on your HMS Bounty, she sure is looking good and with so much of your personal details. Just love your cradle a barrow to mount your ship on, that's a great idea. I also see that you have eliminated that pin rail set around the foremast that Amati had on their plans. Oh, I built it and installed and then just hated it and then removed it. I did a lot of checking first on the amount of belaying points that I would need and with no Studding to add to my ship I discovered that there was more than enough belaying points, my Bounty sure looks much nicer without all of that clutter.

I find it very pleasing to see your personal touches that you have added, your paint and so on, your Bounty will serenity be one of a kind and a very nice one at that, keep up the great work and above all else ENJOY.

canoe21 { Lawrence }

Sgtmik

Postby Sgtmik » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:58 am

Hi Lawrence,
Thanks for the kind words. :text-thankyouyellow: :music-rockout: :handgestures-salute:
Regards
Mike

Caravel Santa Maria
H.M. Bark Endeavour
U.S.S. Constitution
Canoe21

Postby Canoe21 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:28 am

Hello Mike

Just browsing the Forms build logs and dropped in to see if you had any new updates on your HMS Bounty, but alas it looks like I am just a bit too early, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence
canoe21 { Lawrence }

eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:37 pm

Hello Mike, I thought you might be interested in this and maybe raise a glass to the Bounty;

April 28
1789 – About 1,300 miles (2,100 km) west of Tahiti, Fletcher Christian, acting lieutenant on board the Royal Navy ship Bounty, led a mutiny against the commander, William Bligh.

Regards
Eric
Cook's Endeavour - current,
Sovereign of the Seas - current (deAgostini)
In queue: Marina II Fishing Boat by Artesania Latina
In queue: Mayflower by Model Shipways

"I was thinking then it all went blank!"

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”