TUTORIAL: EXIF data Prohibiting Image Uploads

This forum discusses basic or advanced forum features with Tutorials, Video How-To's, and Updates from the Admin. This forum also has Aurthur's Master Index Sheet for easy Build log Navigation.
Donnie
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

TUTORIAL: EXIF data Prohibiting Image Uploads

Post by Donnie » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:26 pm

Digital cameras embed technical metadata, called Exif data, into image files (primarily JPEG and TIFF formats) they create. Exif's primary feature is its ability to record camera information in an image file at the point of capture.

Some Graphics Programs do not "over write" this info but rather "save" that info. It doesn't matter how much you compress or change the pixel size of the image...as long as the original EXIF data is still embedded into the image, then you will have problems uploading the image.

However, if you wish, there is a program you can download that you tell you all about the EXIF image and more. Go to this link and download http://www.exifpro.com/

PHPBB forums has yet to release a fix for this. But, for now, lets stay on this topic. So how do you view your EXIF data. If you have a program such as Corel Paint Shop (just using as an example), when you have an image open you can go to this path:
Image / Image information or Shift + I It is very important that you click on the EXIF Information TAB, scroll down about half way and you will see the Pixel Height and Pixel width. After you "save as" your original image hopfully to a new name, then go back and look at your EXIF data to make sure the image is exactly what you saved it as.

There are too many software programs out there for me to evaluate, so unfortunately, you are on your own with this one. You can contact the support of your program and ask if there is a way to view your images' EXIF data.

here are some screen shots to show the "Original" image along with the "resized and compressed" image and you will see that a particular brand of Graphics Program did NOT over-write the EXIF data and the forum still thinks it is the "original size"

THE ORIGINAL IMAGE FROM CAMERA
EXIF-DATA-ORIGINAL-IMAGE.jpg
EXIF-DATA-ORIGINAL-IMAGE.jpg (57.47 KiB) Viewed 222 times
THE RESIZED AND COMPRESSED IMAGE FROM PROGRAM NOT OVER-WRITING EXIF. YOU SEE IT IS THE SAME EXIF DATA
EXIF-DATA-RESIZED-IMAGE.jpg
EXIF-DATA-RESIZED-IMAGE.jpg (58.34 KiB) Viewed 222 times
EXAMPLE OF HOW PROGRAM SHOULD OVER-WRITE EXIF DATA
EXIF-DATA-SAVEAS-USE-COREL.jpg
EXIF-DATA-SAVEAS-USE-COREL.jpg (60.84 KiB) Viewed 222 times
Donnie
Current Build: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

"War Ships are safe at harbor, but that is not what they were made for"

Donnie

Re: TUTORIAL: EXIF data Prohibiting Image Uploads + More

Post by Donnie » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:43 am

EDIT:
Actually, it is the incorrect EXIF DATA that keeps the image from being uploaded if it does not meet the requirements of the forum which is maxed at about 1000 pixels wide and about 5000 pixels in height -
And to be even more precise in the evaluation, it is the Graphics Software Program or how the Program is used if the EXIF data is saved in accordance with the requirements. This is really at the core of the problem.
As a side note: I usually always crop my images because I usually have a lot of background stuff that I do not want to have in the image as it becomes distracting to the reader.
So, therefore, it is by default that if you crop your image, most likely, the EXIF data will be eliminated anyway. How much to crop is your own personal taste.
Here is an example of an image that needs to be cropped because I do not want these buildings in the way. I just want the ship. Besides, now all the EXIF data is all gone. You can also probably "trick" your Graphics program by cropping the image in a way that you keep the entire image in tact. Usually the cropping tool has "handles" on it that you can manipulate the CROP BOX out to the extremes of the image and then click on whatever command your program has (ie; done, submit, OK....).
Then as extra measure, always name your image that makes sense so that you can remember what the photo is. Another very important point is that if you name your image to what it really is, then GOOGLE IMAGE search will and could possibly find it on the internet.
So, if you are building the Santa Maria, and working on the deck, you can name the image file as: santa-maria-deck01.jpg, santa-maria-deck02.jpg, etc....

Also, try and use conventions such as NO spaces. Servers, forums, and databases do not like spaces. santa maria deck 1.jpg is NOT a good practice to do - remove the spaces !!!!

elanor_full_view.jpg
elanor_full_view.jpg (69.21 KiB) Viewed 211 times
elanor_crop_preview.jpg
elanor_crop_preview.jpg (51.93 KiB) Viewed 211 times
elanor_crop.jpg
elanor_crop.jpg (57.89 KiB) Viewed 211 times
Donnie

GaryM

Re: TUTORIAL: EXIF data Prohibiting Image Uploads

Post by GaryM » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:30 pm

This seems like a server error. It should read the photo staticis, not exif. It might be a core problem that it does not change this but the server program is incorrect and never should read the camera data no matter what. This information can even be left out entirely and the server still should not have a problem.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:47 pm

according to some post made on PHPBB, it seems to be a software problem in the way they wrote the code to block out some EXIF data. SOS is going to be shifting over to an entirely different forum software release on or about January 2018
Donnie Driskell
Ships of Scale ©2017
Madison, MS
USA
Owner / Operator / Administrator
admin@shipsofscale.com

Thank you again for your membership and interest.
You do make a difference in the community of Ship Builders !

Peglegreg
Petty Officer Second Class

Post by Peglegreg » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:11 pm

G'day Donnie
I wonder, what will be different from the new webpage to what we already already have?
I don't know anything about these pages. Was there a technical reason to change or financial, if you don't mind me asking.
:text-woo:
All I know the SOS a a marvelous way of friends helping friends worldwide.
I'm feel so privilege to be a member of
THE BEST SHIP FORUM ON THIS PLANET!
:happy-wavemulticolor:

There is no one here would say or do to hurt another member. More can I say for some others. Thank so so much for starting and improving our friendly informative forum.
Havagooday to all and God bless (or whom do you you believe in) us all.
Greg
The only limitations that are on you, are the ones that you put on yourself.

Current build
ZHL 1:30 Royal Caroline; boxwood version
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1608

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:12 pm

Hi Greg,
and thank you very much for your support and kind words. I really appreciate them a lot. Yes, a lot goes on behind the scenes of trying to keep folks logged in and find their way around and helping folks.
What will be different ?
1) The way the forum "looks" will be different - a different color change
2) The way you used to log in will change a little as far as "where you click" to login.
3) The way that you "Post" messages will be entirely different, but still follows the same type of pattern of reply and response and uploads.
4) The way you UPLOAD images will be VERY different as there will be a lot more flexibility. Thumbnails or Full Images.
5) The PM's (private messages so far) will be in one BOX. No sents, etc. If you reply to a PM, it will simply say RE: (and your title)
The technical reason ?
1) well, the PHPBB forum software that I have been using for the past 8 years has grown to be vastly too complicated and not too friendly when it comes to customization.
2) Developers that offer a STYLE that is the brown / tan and Black that you see are either unsupported or the Developer will not continue.
3) When PHPBB has an upgrade, the STYLE that you see now, might not be supported - it becomes a major headache.
4) Security from spam and hacks. Even though near anything can be hacked and I continue to disable spammers wanting to get in.
5) The PHPBB software is free, but it has a "pricetag" of a lot of anxiety keeping it up and running.
6) Yes, the future software has already been paid for by Donations from wonderful people on this forum and I am sure you all are going to be happy with it.
Let me say it this way: I want to make sure you all are happy with it.
One last thing. I DO plan on making a series of Videos that are easy to follow that will show everyone:
1) how to log in
2) how to make a simple text post
3) how to make a simple one image upload
4) how to make a multiple image upload
5) how to make PM's (private messages)
6) Advanced lessons on how to get the most out of the forum features
I hope that i covered the bases. I will post a more formal answer when the time comes. Everyone will continue to use this forum and I hope to have videos done before the swap over so that people can have a chance to see whats up before the change.
I am thankful that you are a part of SOS. You make and everyone makes a difference in this modeling community of being considerate. Everyone here can also can make a difference in someones lives too. Now isn't that whats it really all about ?

Donnie
Donnie

aew

Post by aew » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:44 am

I can recommend a programe called Irfanview which is a free picture viewer. It's far better than the built-in Windows viewer and it will display the EXIF data.

One important bit of EXIF data is the picture orientation, i.e. which corner goes top left. Your camera can record that and most modern viewers will read it and rotate the picture to show it the right way up. If they don't, you may see sideways or even upside down pictures.
On the other hand, picture editors usually strip off the EXIf data and save the picture whichever way up you're displaying it on the screen

Note: If you do download Irfanview, download the plugins as well.
Arthur

Current Build - HMS Vanguard

Return to “Tutorals, How-To Videos, Features, Build Log List Index”