HMS Alert, 1777 - 1/96 scale paper model

This forum is for those that would like to upload their completed ships for others to see.
catopower
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer First Class

HMS Alert, 1777 - 1/96 scale paper model

Postby catopower » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:20 pm

I've had this project that I'd been tinkering with for just over 2 years now. I'd never build a paper model kit before. But, helping out at Ages of Sail http://www.agesofsail.com introduced me to them. I saw them on the shelf and was instantly intrigued. These kits are very sophisticated and unlike any other paper model kits I've seen. They are built-up from a dense framework, which is covered with two separate layers to even out the curve of the hull. Then, the hull is planked in lapstrake fashion.

I toyed with it for months and took the hull to the NRG conference to display it for Ages of Sail and it drew a tremendous amount of attention. One of my ship modeling buddies wanted to me to complete it and offered to buy it. So, it went from a tinkering/exploration project to a full-on build.

It's time to declare victory and post photos of the final model. Actually, these photos were taken before I added the final touch of rope coils, but it's not really noticeable in these shots.

Note that this is something more of a multimedia build as I chose to use wooden the masts and spars and blocks, and brass cannon barrels. Sails are cloth and of course there is rigging line. All else is essentially paper.

IMG_2436.jpg
IMG_2436.jpg (114.41 KiB) Viewed 599 times

IMG_0790.jpg
IMG_0790.jpg (116.19 KiB) Viewed 599 times

IMG_0793.jpg
IMG_0793.jpg (117.52 KiB) Viewed 599 times

IMG_2419.jpg
IMG_2419.jpg (124.5 KiB) Viewed 599 times

IMG_2429.jpg
IMG_2429.jpg (147.05 KiB) Viewed 599 times

IMG_2418.jpg
IMG_2418.jpg (125.3 KiB) Viewed 599 times

IMG_2433.jpg
IMG_2433.jpg (146.8 KiB) Viewed 599 times

IMG_2436.jpg
IMG_2436.jpg (114.41 KiB) Viewed 599 times

The cannons are the small swivel guns that Syren Ship Model Company sells. Blocks and rigging line is mostly from Syren also, but I also experimented with the use of Morope brand model rope.

The basic kit is available from Ages of Sail for just over $30. It contains 5 sheets of printed parts, some sheets of diagrams, and laser cut parts for the hull framework.

It was a new challenge. In some ways it was easier that wooden ship modeling, in other ways, it's more tedious because of all the small parts. Definitely a different skill set is needed, but no power tools need at all. This is a great project that you can work on with very limited space and budget.

For those with a little more room and money, there is a boxed version that has all the parts laser cut for you. You do have to paint the whole thing as there are few printed parts. The kit is about $100 more, but the pre-cut parts should be a big time saver. Also, the model is in a larger scale of 1/72. That kit includes brass cannons, dowels for the masts, pre-cut and printed sails, paint, brush and razor blade, and much better instructions.

Clare
Attachments
IMG_2431.jpg
IMG_2431.jpg (134.72 KiB) Viewed 599 times
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Re: HMS Alert, 1777 - 1/96 scale paper model

Postby GaryM » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:40 pm

They are impressive models. Having seen it in person, most people will believe it is a wooden model. Once it is in a case, it will look as good as any other model regardless of the material used. Very nice job.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
Graham
Petty Officer Second Class
Petty Officer Second Class

Re: HMS Alert, 1777 - 1/96 scale paper model

Postby Graham » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:31 pm

A model to be proud of; nice job!

Return to “Completed Builds”