Woody Joe's Higaki Kaisen 1/72nd scale kit

This forum is for those that would like to upload their completed ships for others to see.
catopower
Petty Officer First Class

Woody Joe's Higaki Kaisen 1/72nd scale kit

Post by catopower » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:15 pm

I just finished building a kit that I haven't talked about much. It was a relatively quick build that I started back in November and finished by the end of March – about four months, but closer to three months, given time out for other projects.

This has been a fun and challenging build that I will be writing about shortly. The kit is largely laser cut pieces with very few things that the builder is expected to make. It's almost a complete opposite from the old American kits, which just give you sticks, blocks and pictures and say little more than, "now make a skylight".

Instructions are extremely well illustrated, which is a really good thing, because the text is all in Japanese. That might not be so bad except there are a few explicit instructions to NOT glue certain pieces into place until a later step. In this sense, it's more of a procedural kit, very much like a plastic model.

Anyway, for those interested in attempting the kit (who read some Japanese or have Japanese friends or relatives), I recommend buying from a Japanese seller called Zootoyz The owner, Kazunori Morikawa, is a very nice guy and has been very helpful. His prices are good, his shipping prices are fair (pretty much doesn't tack on extra handling fees as far as I can tell), and he was recommended to me by Woody Joe, which does not market in the US. Also, because the prices are listed in Japanese yen (the website will calculate the exchange rate), with a really good exchange rate right now, the actual purchase costs have come down a lot in the past year or so. Plus, he takes Paypal.

There are kits listed on Amazon, but these are also from Japanese sellers, so there is no advantage to them and they charge more for the kit and for shipping.

Clare

jct

Re: Woody Joe's Higaki Kaisen 1/72nd scale kit

Post by jct » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:11 pm

Hey Clare,
This is a nice little vessel, super clean build as always, I bet it was a nice departure from the normal build? Thanks for sharing
J
Current build -
In the queue -
Agilis, Steingraeber
HMB Endeavour, Corel
Harriot Lane, Model Shipways
Semi complete-
USS Niagara
Completed builds-
Half Moon, Corel
USN Picket Boat #1

popeye
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by popeye » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:34 pm

super looking build Clare.....clean looking wood, and very neatly done. are you going to do a build log on it?...great to see! :)

GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Post by GaryM » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:28 pm

Very interesting looking model. Looks like it was a lot of fun to build.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal

popeye

Post by popeye » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:04 am

I would imagine it could be nicely painted. Billing's has a kit like it.

catopower

Post by catopower » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:36 am

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

These ships were not painted except for what I show on my model. I'm sure the Japanese must have used some kind of varnish on the ships, but I think paint isn't generally a Japanese thing except perhaps that bright red used in some temples, or the black paint of well known Japanese lacquer ware.

Woody Joe is the only kit manufacturer I'm aware of that makes these traditional style Japanese boats or "Wasen". They have a few of them, but this is probably the most authentic, best detailed one. The kit is based roughly on a replica ship that is in now in the maritime museum in Osaka and the design was primarily done by a very talented ship modeler of a Japanese ship model association called "The Rope".

The full size replica ship was built in 1999 and is called the "Naniwa Maru." It was test sailed for a short time before being permanently on display. I found a few photos on the internet...

This one is from Wikipedia:
OMMN_small.jpg

Here's another I found on the Internet somewhere:
405 copy.jpg

Here's a magazine spread that shows the ship on the water:
0001ba11m.JPG

As for the model kit itself, I know of at least 3 other ship modelers building the kit and I think we're going to see more of this and of other Woody Joe kits in the near future. By the way, they also have some truly awesome Japanese temple, castle and shrine kits. My mother really was interested in the castles, so I agreed to build one for her for her 90th birthday next year. It's just a small one and I went ahead and purchased the kit. Looks like a very easy build – especially for a ship modeler! But, again looks like it should be a lot of fun.

Clare

popeye

Post by popeye » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:35 am

well, all I can say is you've done a fantastic job with it......and to see it as an actual ship, is icing on the cake! I hope you post some pictures of the castle, I think it will be an interesting build. post it in the coffee time forum if you need to........but I must see it :) congrats Clare, the Naniwa Maru is just beautiful!

GaryM

Post by GaryM » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:00 pm

The real one sure uses some nice looking wood. Hope you bring your model to the next meeting.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal

catopower

Post by catopower » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:25 am

Hi Gary,

Yeah, the real wood looks nice. I had to experiment with the use of wood dye on my model to get the color I wanted. It seems fairly close. The original wood in the kit is Japanese Cypress, which may mellow over time to look more like the real ship, but when it's first cut, it's a very light colored wood, like basswood.

I'll definitely bring it to the meeting. Are you bringing your Cutty Sark? Nice subject, and I'm sure you have lots of good research material on her in your library! Hope you bring her to the meeting.

Clare

otrax01

Post by otrax01 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:55 pm

Clare this is a real nice model, I can't wait to see it at the next meeting.
Kent
Remember, When your out in the shop, Ship Happens!

Return to “Completed Builds”