18th Century English Longboat - 1:48 Scale by catopower

This forum is for those that would like to upload their completed ships for others to see.
catopower
Petty Officer First Class

18th Century English Longboat - 1:48 Scale by catopower

Postby catopower » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:34 pm

After a final marathon session. Here is the completed 18th Century English Longboat, a Model Shipways kit at 1/4" = 1' scale. It's not perfect. I chose to leave off the anchor as it seemed way too big, particularly after seeing how nice the prototype model's anchor looked. I also ended up putting the flag halliard on the port side instead of the starboard side. I used my own rigging line I had on hand, rather than the kit stuff, though for no particular reason. Also, I didn't use any black lines, though the plans show standing rigging as black. It just seemed to me that there was no special reason for a longboat to have its standing rigging tarred since it was all removable and I figured it was all stowed away normally anyway.

In any case, I'm really happy with how sweet this kit turned out to be. One of those things where I thought it was "just okay" when I got it, but it ended up being a really fun and nice looking build in the end.

Anyway, here are the final pics.

Clare
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Re: 18th Century English Longboat - 1:48 Scale by catopower

Postby GaryM » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:56 pm

Nice clean looking build. Congratulations on a job well done.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
WOODMAN
Seaman
Seaman

Postby WOODMAN » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:50 pm

Hi Clare,
super build..congrats.. :handgestures-thumbup:

Paul.
catopower

Postby catopower » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:21 pm

Thanks Gary, Paul,

I'm really happy with how the model turned out. At this scale and size, the amount of detail in it makes for a really neat model. I'm really happy with it. Almost makes me want to do another!

Clare
rwc56

Postby rwc56 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:24 am

Very nice!

I just bought this kit on Amazon for less than half of what it usually goes for. A promotional thing by Model Shipways. I'm curious, did you use the paint kit that MS sells or did you use something else?

Again, very nice!
catopower

Postby catopower » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:00 am

Thanks RWC56.

Yeah, you can always find good deals on Model Shipways kits. I got mine on a promotion for $29.95 plus shipping, I think it was. I got the pinnace kit the same way, but have yet to build it.

For paints, I prefer brushing using Liquitex artists acrylics. I use small mixing bottles to make a batch of any shade that's not straight from a tube or bottle. If you thin them down (with water) and brush thin coats, they give a nice smooth eggshell finish.

Hope to see you start a build log.

Clare
WaltB

Postby WaltB » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:32 pm

Hi Clare,
This is a bit of a late post (all the others were in the 2013 time frame). But I'm a new member and thought i would comment as the long boat is my next project (have the kit in my model cabinet). I hope i can do as nice a job as you did on that one. Great photos; i may refer to them as i build.

But i have to finish the current model (Emma C. Berry) before i can get to the long boat.
Regards,
WaltB
catopower

Postby catopower » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:49 pm

Hi Walt,

I've been offline a lot, so just noticed your post. I really enjoyed the longboat project and would consider doing another one at some point. I'll be looking forward to seeing your project when you can get to it.

Clare

Return to “Completed Builds”