The Old 'Revell' Cutty Sark...Major Modifications Completed.

This forum is for those that would like to upload their completed ships for others to see.
KimatHm
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

The Old 'Revell' Cutty Sark...Major Modifications Completed.

Postby KimatHm » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:41 pm

]...Well, after many months of negotiations, samples, and artwork redone, I finally have the 'Decals' of the 'Old Revell Cutty Sark' completed. The following pictures ( and once again, forgive me, as I'm definately NOT a photographer..!!) should give you an Idea of exactly what was accomplished...What this company has done, is to produce an exact replica, (actually better than exact..!!) of the decals that were supplied with the original kits, (the same for all years of production)...What was required on my part was a 'paint-fill' on the brass sheets, consisting of a very diluted / thinned black paint, and then very careful removal, via razor, the excess, in order to give the appearance of painting the scrollwork directly in place...and then cutting, and adhering with CA cement to the proper areas...turned out very well...completing the task of the 'decal reproduction...The Cost was very 'sizeable' (if you will..!!) but turned out to be very well worth it, when one is out to produce a replica, and model as best as possible...!!! ( If anyone is interested in aquiring copies of these brass plates, .003 thickness, feel free to contact me...!!! Blessings, All...Kim
Attachments
DSC00257.JPG
DSC00257.JPG (147.75 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
DSC00264.JPG
DSC00264.JPG (142.02 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
DSC00268.JPG
DSC00268.JPG (147.78 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
DSC00276.JPG
DSC00276.JPG (148.96 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
DSC00280.JPG
DSC00280.JPG (140.37 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
DSC00261.JPG
DSC00261.JPG (138.45 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Re: The Old 'Revell' Cutty Sark...Major Modifications Comple

Postby GaryM » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:58 pm

They look really good. I have built that model 3 times when I was younger. It was a classic. The models eventually got destroyed, but I still have some slides of the completed model with full sails.
After I got my first wooden model, I never went back to plastic. However, even now, it will make a nice display model. The good thing about plastic is that you get to see your results quickly without having to spend hundreds of hours .
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
KimatHm
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

Postby KimatHm » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:56 am

Hi Gary...Thanks for the note...!!! I built this kit when I was a kid also, but after numerous wooden ships, I ran across the challenge of doing the plastic again ...I found it quite rewarding to modify the kit, after learning a few tricks in my next 50 years !!! Immediately I was commissioned to complete 2 more...1 with sails...(Whew..!!) and 1 without...(Pictured in other posts) Still turned out to bea real 'hoot' after all these years, so I was able to locate 2 more of these kits, via e-bay (Price sure went up...eh???) Thanks again...Kim
GaryM

Postby GaryM » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:24 pm

That is interesting that people still wanted you to build them the kit. I know it makes a good model, especially if you use the rigging line and beeswax that is available today. If I was to build it, I would change out all the blocks and deadeyes and use several sizes of rigging rope. When I built them before, I seemed to always have to build their Constitution as well. To me, they just seemed to belong together. Enjoy your next two builds.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
KimatHm
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

Postby KimatHm » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:48 pm

For Sure...!!! Thats exactly what I did...changing out the blocks, and deadeyes...replaced them with the wooden ones that are on the market these days...makes all the difference in the world...!!! Blessings, Kim
popeye
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Postby popeye » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:57 am

very nice work Kim.......post some pictures of the entire build......love to see her.
finished builds:
Nordkap 476 / Cux 87 / Gundalow
Mary Ann / Susan A. / M&M fun ship
Phylly C & Denny-Zen / AmericA
Andrea Gail

in cue:
Gothenborg
Half Moon
Boulogne Etaples
trawler Syborn
U.S.S. United States
Holiday Harbor
Titanic
KimatHm
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

Postby KimatHm » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:58 am

Thanks Again for the notes, guys...!!! I've got a few pics of this one posted already, under the topic...'The Old Revell Cutty Sark...', or just search under my name of 'KimatHm'for the posts...it shows where I had swapped out the plastic 'Deadeyes' and replaced them with the wooden styles...Like you folks, I hadn't done 'Plastics' in Years....!!! but I had a really good time being 'innovative' (if you will !) changing their (Revells') stuff around in order to make for a more realistic issue...!!! Let me know if you can't bring up the other posts, as I did have some trouble trying to re-size some of the pics to fit the required formats here...Blessings, Mateys ...!!!

Return to “Completed Builds”