Gato Submarine 1:72 scale by Revell

This forum is for those that would like to upload their completed ships for others to see.
Fright
Seaman
Seaman

Gato Submarine 1:72 scale by Revell

Postby Fright » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:48 am

This is my 1st model build. I inherited this kit from my father-in-law when he passed away in 2009. He served upon three US submarines: USS Halfbeak, USS Atule and the USS Crevalle. So, I started this build in his honor in 2011 and worked on and off until 2012. I started off with the idea to just build the kit as is, but I wanted her to look like she'd been at sea. I drilled two holes for the exhaust which were missing from this kit. My in-law was on watch one night when a huge wave crashed over the sail and broke his nose on the railing. Because of this, I purchased some sub crew members from CMK to add to the ship. I used oil pastels, graphite and some washes for my weathering and incorporated a guitar string in place of thread for my rails and wires. I loved the detail and the size of this kit. Revell did a wonderful job in molding this kit. It had very few flashing issues and parts fitted together quite well. I'm very happy with the time I spent researching these subs and the men who served aboard her and in building this model. I am now on with my 4th and 5th kits, the 1:96 USS Constitution and my 1st wooden kit, the Bluenose schooner by Scientific.
Attachments
DSCN1707.JPG
DSCN1707.JPG (140.54 KiB) Viewed 166 times
DSCN1750 - Copy.JPG
DSCN1750 - Copy.JPG (101.52 KiB) Viewed 166 times
DSCN1735.JPG
DSCN1735.JPG (105.3 KiB) Viewed 166 times
DSCN1725 - Copy.JPG
DSCN1725 - Copy.JPG (90.83 KiB) Viewed 166 times
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Re: Gato Submarine 1:72 scale by Revell

Postby GaryM » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:23 pm

Nice looking and weathering makes it look real.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
Fright
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Fright » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:47 pm

Many thanks Gary Maple for taking a look at my model sub. This 'little' ship sparked my interest in continuing on in modeling. :text-thankyouyellow:
Graham
Petty Officer Second Class
Petty Officer Second Class

Postby Graham » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:12 am

That's a great looking build and again your weathering techniques are top notch. Excuse my ignorance, but that looks looks a ship's bell on the rear of the conning tower? If it is, then was it fixed in place, or did someone have the job to quickly remove it before they dived? I don't think you would want it dinging underwater if there are angry destroyers above hunting you! Regards.
Fright
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Fright » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:12 am

Graham - that bell came with the kit. In hindsight, I believe you are right with your train of thought about a bell and underwater stealth. It did not dawn on me when I was building this kit and I'm sure it would have been kept somewhere in the interior of the vessel. Cheers!

Return to “Completed Builds”