HMS Psyche drawings

This forum discusses Ships Plans, from how to read your plans, to where can I buy my own plans. We have all seen missing or incorrect info on plans and diagrams, got the right info?

Moderator: JosephH

davef
Seaman
Seaman

HMS Psyche drawings

Post by davef » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:32 pm

When I got the plans from the NMM I was surprised at what I found.
psyche plan.jpg
psyche plan.jpg (124.6 KiB) Viewed 185 times
As you can see. there are many things to look at. At first glance there are double openings for the gun ports. there are two decks each, there are a mess of lines at the stem, things missing that should be there. As there isn't a contract that I could follow how other ships were built in the Yard and by Strickland had to be used.
The following picture shows the front stem area. Here you will notice thick dark lines under the bowsprit. The before and after. Which one is right?
blowup of front section.jpg
blowup of front section.jpg (31.41 KiB) Viewed 185 times

In the stern area there are missing items. Where if any are the transoms? How are the decks attached and hoe about the deadwood.
stern.jpg
stern.jpg (33.43 KiB) Viewed 185 times
Never mind the mess at the cabin lights area. This would probably take care of it's self once the stern was redrawn.

All of the darker lines are the changes Strickland made to the original drawings. If I wanted an accurate model I need to distinguish what is the changes. In this next photo is the descriptions of the ships specifications. What you will notice is the depth of hold measurement. It reads original 12' but it is cross through and 10' 3" is added. This means to me he lowered the deck 1'9" and it would stand to reason he lowered everything by that amount.
depth of hold.jpg
depth of hold.jpg (50 KiB) Viewed 185 times
I guess my next challenge was to draw what I had knowing certain measurements of the original ship.
She was, Gun Deck 130' long and the Breadth Moulded was 35'4". The Keel was similar in design of the ships built in Kingston. I do be leave for lack of long, straight and thick enough material. The Keel was in three parts. The top part, with the rabbit was 15 sided x 14 moulded. The next under the Keel was 6 inches sided and the false Keel was 5" thick. For a brand total of 25" As most ships required a rising wood to attach the frames to, the drawings supplied roughly measured 5" thick. What is interesting is that it runs under the Stern posts.

zoly99sask
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Re: HMS Psyche drawings

Post by zoly99sask » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:14 pm

Dave ,this will be awesome.

davef
Seaman
Seaman

Post by davef » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:59 pm

Zoltan
I hope you will like what I am doing.
This is a process I do go through when I draw up a ship.

The next step is to set the heights of the decks. On the plans , at the mid section there are frames drawn in, These are used to show several things. The first is the room and space. Even though they are digital copies they do give an approximation of the sizes of the frames but also the spacing. In this case they are approximately 11" with a spacing of 5". The other is the order of the frames. Which ones have the floors spanning the Keel but which ones have the first futtocks against the keel. The next important lines are the height of the frames and the Keelson depth. In this case the Psyche has 14" floors at the Keel and the Keelson is 7 to 8" depth. Why I say 7 to 8" because right now I don't know positively but the frames are recessed onto the frames to lock them into place.
The following pic shows what I am describing.
deadflatarea.jpg
deadflatarea.jpg (22.58 KiB) Viewed 165 times
Usually on top of the frames there are the ceiling planking and next to the Keelson is a plank called the Limber Strake. Based on evidence from Walker's article," Wreck Baker" no Limber Strake was found. Also if you look at the time line to build the Psyche, she was launched in less than two months. I would suspect shortcuts were made. Also maybe lack of materials had a part in that as well. So if that's the case I put four inch thick planking on the frames. From here I measured up 10'3" and made a mark for the under side of the planking for the lower deck. All this was done at the dead flat frame or station.

davef
Seaman
Seaman

Post by davef » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:39 pm

What I did next was to draw in the two Perpendiculars at the fore rabbit and aft rabbit. This measurement was 130'. Because I am drawing on top of the digital plans I drew in approximately the station lines. They were approximately every 70" with a few exceptions. Because Strickland lowered everything by 1'9", it means that to maintain the 130' gun deck length he had to move the stem out as well. The dark lines on the stem show what he did. It affected everything, bowsprit, hawse holes, figurehead, Keel, etc.
stem changes.jpg
stem changes.jpg (56.33 KiB) Viewed 156 times

As you can see by the above pic the red arrows show the slight changes done.It shoves everything out and down. The red x just means it is not part of the final drawing. I made my first mistake on the upper gun ports because my research led me to be-leave that 32 pounder carronades needed more elevation to go the same distance as 28 pounder long cannons. But I was wrong. So the x area means the ports and rails were lowered.
On the next pic it is showing the changes Strickland had to do for the lower stem/ Keel area.
lower stem.jpg
lower stem.jpg (65.83 KiB) Viewed 156 times

The red lines show the changes to the front of the Keel and the Rabbit.
I need to determine where the gun deck is to draw it. I add 3" for the planking,to the 10'9" to get the top measurement of the lower deck. From here I added 70" to get to the underside of the gun deck. Again I added 3" for the planking to arrive at the top side of the gun deck. I drew a straight line from the underside of the gun deck planking to the fore perpendicular. Next I had to determine the sheer. Using the original plans and where the gun deck was drawn I estimated the fore sheer to be 3.875" and the aft sheer to be 17.5" _ Like I said because there is no contract available measurements from the plans are used within reason). After making marks at both perpendiculars, I drew in the gun deck. From here it was relatively easy to draw in the lower deck. Next step is to draw the stem.

JosephH
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer First Class

Post by JosephH » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:03 pm

Ok I got the drawings fine so as soon as I get something going in Solidworks I will post them here along with any notations you might need to know about
JosephH

Scale Model Design and Fabrication L.L.C.
http://www.proflooney.net

davef
Seaman
Seaman

Post by davef » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:07 pm

I am very sorry that I haven't posted further. I am learning a new program called Solidworks and I feel it better in the long run. Being able to show a 3D representation as you design the plans is in the futuer for a lot of things today.
When I get going I will post what I have done.
Thanks Dave

Return to “Discuss Plans, Diagrams & CAD Software”