New drawing started

This forum discusses Ships Plans, from how to read your plans, to where can I buy my own plans. We have all seen missing or incorrect info on plans and diagrams, got the right info?

Moderator: JosephH

davef
Seaman
Seaman

Re: new drawing started

Post by davef » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:37 pm

A kind of overhead picture of Frederick dockyard dated 1815 Depicts ships on Ordinary

download/file.php?mode=view&id=22729
Attachments
overhead shot a.jpg
overhead shot a.jpg (97.52 KiB) Viewed 149 times

davef
Seaman
Seaman

Re: New drawing started

Post by davef » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:52 pm

Captain Barrie took over as Acting Commissioner of the Kingston naval base. His orders were to " maintain the ships until they became un-serviceable but without attracting the attention of the United States." By 1819 all the ships had dry rot even though they were properly ventilated. A survey done by the Royal Navy later in the year showed rot in "most" of the ships. Barrie petitioned the Admiralty for more men to service the ships, but was denied. The Admiralty favored the gradual rebuilds of four ships that were not as deteriorated in condition. They were the Psyche, Niagara, Star and the Netley. They were subsequently hauled out of the water into the stocks.
By the 1820's the rest of the ships were half sunken and deemed unfit. On 1831 Lieutenant Mossington visited the Yard and noted the desolation and observed the St. lawrence. He remarked that " she will probably have to be broken up to be moved". In that same year the Admiralty decided that the ships not on stocks would be destroyed. Barrie on the other hand recommended the auctioning off of the ships. What the varying prices for each varied to what you read.
Barrie's last duties were the clearing of the yard of all the old ships hulls and stores. The Admiralty actually closed the yard in 1834. When he left, the four ships were still in the stocks plus ten gunboats. A John Marks a navy purser, who was left in charge ofthe facility held another auction. This time it included all the ships at the yard. These included " four old ships of war". The results of that auction are unknown. but I am still looking.
The yard was opened periodically through the years because of uprisings in the United States but no mentions of the Psyche. As I said before until further proof, she was either sold or broken up for the lumber.
That's it and the research continues.

Return to “Discuss Plans, Diagrams & CAD Software”