Black Prince 74 Gun ship Via Ed Tosti's Cad Method

This forum discusses Ships Plans, from how to read your plans, to where can I buy my own plans. We have all seen missing or incorrect info on plans and diagrams, got the right info?
JosephH
Petty Officer First Class

Re: Black Prince 74 Gun ship Via Ed Tosti's Cad Method

Postby JosephH » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:21 pm

So I decided to mark the DF on the drawings (Solid Line) and all the stations marked.

next I will do a measurement and then space all stations out so they are equal
Attachments
BP-06s.png
BP-06s.png (178.86 KiB) Viewed 27 times
Scale Model Design and Fabrication L.L.C.
http://www.proflooney.net
JosephH

Postby JosephH » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:22 pm

So I took 9 stations and the dimensions between them and totaled them then divided by 9 and came up with a spacing of 66.577 inches.

as you can see below when I adjusted them in the front everything lined up with my drawing sheet only off a couple thousandths here and there. so that tells me the sheer plan doesn't seem to be too distorted
Attachments
BP-07s.png
BP-07s.png (278.53 KiB) Viewed 27 times
JosephH

Postby JosephH » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:24 pm

So back from Lunch. well the next part says

"First Determine the room and space, the distance between frame lines,from the drafts by measuring the distance between vertical stations on the drawing at some point along the hull, not from the AP, FP, or DF, since these distances usually differed from the ships room and space."

then says

"It is best to take a measurement across a large number of evenly spaced lines on the draft then divide to get this important dimension, which was often expressed down to 1/8" "

ok so I understand the stations shown are covering 2 stations thus a normal station would be half of that.

However what I don't understand is what do I divide by?

The number of stations total I measured?

which doesn't make sense because I already know that dimension from what is on the plans.

Also looking at the framing plan I do not see any gaps for airflow in the drawing. did some ships not have gaps?
Attachments
BP-08s.png
BP-08s.png (322.44 KiB) Viewed 27 times
JosephH

Postby JosephH » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:57 pm

so going through Steels Scantlings it shows the room and space at 2 feet 9 inches.

I still am not sure what that number represents or how it is used.

I thought room and space was the distance from station to station divided by 3 which gives the width of the station timber and allows for a timber width of airspace between.

for now I will do some more research on it as supposedly this is an important measurement to come up with other measures from.
JosephH

Postby JosephH » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:50 pm

This afternoon I did some checking on the accuracy of the sheer plan drawings as per looking for distorion. enlarged to full size most lines are between 1/2" - 1" deviation

That said I think I will use the sheer plan as drawn for the most part and just correct lines that are off.

when I did the decks and checked them they were between 1/8" and 1/4" off from the lines shown. As per reading from Ed's book they should be a continuous arc and that is how I drew them. the lower 2 decks where parallel to the keel but the top deck and quarter decks have a slight downward angle to them from the stern to the bow.

the next thing I need to do is to look up and then verify the heights and widths of the gun ports, the height and width of the keel, distance of top of keel to the keelson, height of the keelson, thickness of the deck planks, height and width for the false keel.

that should allow me to verify the validity of what is shown on the drawings and let me finish up the basic sheer plan.

what I am not sure of is what are the two dashed lines I have marked they go to the perpendiculars and then curve down
Attachments
BP-09s.png
BP-09s.png (286.59 KiB) Viewed 22 times
Brian077
Petty Officer Second Class
Petty Officer Second Class

Postby Brian077 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:23 pm

incredible work, I am speechless at your skill.
Current Build Link:-
ZHL - Xebec Le Requin

Future Build Link:-
H.M.S Enterprise 28 guns
JosephH

Postby JosephH » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:28 pm

thanks but i am just poking around and mainly tracing already done stuff trying to learn how to draw them up. Ed's book on the Naiad while great stuff leaves out a lot of info.

after testing all the dimensions on the sheer plan there was little to no distortion so I can use most lines as is just like the deck and stations lines they are almost spot on. I just uised a 3 point arc for the decks and the stations a matter of taking several measurements and averaging them out.

once I get past the sheer plan is when the real fun comes in because that is where I always have trouble getting the body plan and waterlines to work out. he goes a little more into detail on them
JosephH

Postby JosephH » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:45 am

Also a little about the ship name cause i think its interesting and my ship drawing is general arrangement for the class and there were 6 Black Princes built

1650 small 10 gun vessel

1774 Black Prince (32 guns) later renamed Alfred approx 8 Nov 1775

1816 Black Prince 74 gun ship

1861 Black Prince 36 gun ship (warrior class Battleship)

1904 Black Prince Duke of Edinburgh class Cruiser

1942 Black Prince was a Dido class Cruiser

hehe oh and don't forget the British Black Prince Tank

so there were a few of them and it is cool the Alfred was originally named Black Prince.

Ok so I got 2 things done tonight before I head to bed.

First thing i got is the wales and rails curves all figured out and drawn in Just have to do like with the flooring come up with the thickness of the rail wood

Then the second I did was figured out the gunport sizes and got the curves drawn for the gunports. tomorrow night I will get the widths drawn in which came to like 3 ft 5 inches width and then will be 7 feet 6 inches apart
Attachments
BP-10s.png
BP-10s.png (161.49 KiB) Viewed 16 times
BP-11s.png
BP-11s.png (182.87 KiB) Viewed 16 times
JosephH

Postby JosephH » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:28 am

So this morning only have a couple hours before getting ready for work so I took care of the gun ports.

The lower deck they are all 3 foot 5 inches wide for the 32 pounders and 7 foot 6 ish inches apart (I say ish as they had to fudge them an inch or two in some places to clear things)

and on the gun deck they are 2 foot 11 inches for the 18 pounders

so now I can trim off the extra lines and another layer of drawing is finished.

the keel seems to come to 18 inches when I checked everything out which seems about right so I will go with that. What I dunno where to look for numbers for the taper of the Beak in the bow and the sternpost in aft and the thicknesses of the deadwoods
Attachments
BP-12s.png
BP-12s.png (188.46 KiB) Viewed 12 times
JosephH

Postby JosephH » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:41 am

and now the gunports are finished
Attachments
BP-13s.png
BP-13s.png (155.86 KiB) Viewed 11 times

Return to “Discuss Plans, Diagrams & CAD Software”