Standing Rigging Advise

This is to discuss all aspects about Rigging both Standing and Running such as Shrouds, Ratlines, Stays, Deadeyes, Blocks of all types, etc. How do you do it? Got any shortcuts or tips to share?
likenew
Petty Officer Second Class

Standing Rigging Advise

Post by likenew » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:34 pm

Hi All,
I am making the Sovereign of the Seas by Mantua, and looking ahead in the plans I was looking at the standing rigging when I noticed something, I thought that the stays that went from mast to mast down the centerline of the ship (I am not sure of the name of them) are usually made fast from the mast tree of one mast section to the mast forward of it.

If you look at the picture below I will try and explain what I mean.

Joe
Attachments
Image.jpg
You will see at the mizzen mast at the second cross tree and doubling there is a heavy line extends downward twoard the main mast at which point the line is branched off. There is a series of single blocks that fan out and the line that makes everything fast just wraps around the shroud back stays on the lower main mast. This is to be repeated both port and starboard and is tied off to 2 bellaying pins on either side. I always thought that standing rigging was pretty perminante being coated with tar or pitch. Any suggestions? I don't think that this is correct at all. Maybe someone know a web site where I may be able to research this. Thanks.
Joe
Image.jpg (79.23 KiB) Viewed 4190 times

GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Re: Standing Rigging Advise

Post by GaryM » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:36 pm

R C Anderson's Book on 17th Century Rigging shows this type of rigging for the Sovereign and mentions several things about the special rigging unique to the SOS. Payne's painting does show this for the stay from the missen mast. I recommend that you get this book (see the title in my entry of reference materials) to use during the rigging process.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal

Donnie
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Donnie » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:00 pm

I do not have my reference material in front of me, so I can only advise off the top of my head and what I think.

Of my experience, I see that most all Forestays (that run from any mast forward to the lower mast in front) will always (most likely) use blocks to adjust tension. In my case, I have Forestays and Fore Preventer Stays that start mid and top of the Main Mast, then travel to a Block mounted Mid way of the Foremast, then the line goes from there and attaches to a Block on the deck at the base of the mast. the blocks are there to adjust tension, usually to add tension to the mast of which should make the ship handle better.

I would suspect that the "Spreaders" (the lines that break off in many directions) is just to even out the distribution of tension and yes, same principle, you should be able to adjust tension for the Mast. (which all in all makes the ship handle better).

Apparently, the wind, sail loads, etc would have a tendency to make the mast be too flexible therefore lending it even more for the mast, yards, sail tacking to be much more difficult. I believe it is called trimming.

Yes, you will have tar or coating on the Shrouds. the Stays - most likely. However, since the use of spreaders, the tar coating would most likely stop at that point so the lines can be adjusted using a block on deck or up on the railing.

Just my opinion. Now, why in this design, they decided to tie the Forestays off to the Shrouds, I am not sure. I would say that this would really make things a real challenge when doing your running rigging. I think that I would wait to do this step WAY down the road as these Forestays are more accessible outside of the ship instead of the running rigging which has a tendency to run (within the ship).

You have to figure out what would be "in the way" first. Work from the "Center out" as much as you can.

So, I guess to answer your question, yes, the schematic is correct. (my opinion).

Donnie
Current Build: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

"War Ships are safe at harbor, but that is not what they were made for"

likenew

Post by likenew » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:08 am

So the general consisus is that the plans are correct. OK that changes everything now, need to go back and relook at the plans again.

Gary: Thanks for the info on the book by anderson.

Donnie: Thanks for your insight on the rigging as well.

otrax01
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer First Class

Post by otrax01 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:30 pm

I'm just asking this question to see if I have it correct. We are talking about line P11, Right?. The line from the shroud to the blocks, are they "One" line wrapped around the shroud through each block then down to the pin, or are they individual lines tied to the shroud and only the last block being the adjustment block?
Kent
Remember, When your out in the shop, Ship Happens!

GaryM

Post by GaryM » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:59 pm

They are one line rigged the an euphroe block and can be seen clearer on my model on picture 51a, page 14 at this location: http://www.shipsofscale.com/phpBB3/view ... &start=130
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal

Return to “Rigging: Covers all Standing and Running”