Avoiding fuzzy thread

This is to discuss all aspects about Rigging both Standing and Running such as Shrouds, Ratlines, Stays, Deadeyes, Blocks of all types, etc. How do you do it? Got any shortcuts or tips to share?
Chuck
Seaman
Seaman

Re: Avoiding fuzzy thread

Post by Chuck » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:49 am

I make all of my own scale rope. A light bulb never seemed to do the trick for me. I usually use a combination of good quality beeswax and a candle flame to remove the fuzz from my rope. I am actually making rope right now this morning. Here are some photos.

I treat the dark brown or black rope differently than the tan for running rigging.

All of my rope is placed on a table after I make it as shown below. Once neatly placed on the table I use sharp #11 blade to slice off any large lumps. You can see many coils I made just this morning waiting for this treatment. I will carefully examine the entire length of rope for lumps which are easily sliced off with a sharp blade.
burningrope.jpg
burningrope.jpg (57.32 KiB) Viewed 466 times
Then the rope is waxed lightly. Once waxed the rope is pulled through a candle flame carefully a bit at a time. The thinner ropes are run through the flame quicker than the larger ones. This really crisps up the rope and removes all the fuzz while at the same time melting the wax so it soaks into the rope. Just like a hot iron, this flame also conditions and removes any kinks or wrinkles in the rope making it very straight and smooth so it hangs wonderfully.
bigrope.jpg
bigrope.jpg (152.84 KiB) Viewed 466 times
I do not run my tan rope through a candle flame because the soot from the candle will dirty the rope. In the case of the tan rope a gas flame is used to avoid any staining.

Here are some examples of my shop-made rope on my model. No fuzzies or lumps after treatment even with this level of magnification.
SOSloweryardslingrigged.jpg
SOSloweryardslingrigged.jpg (74.04 KiB) Viewed 466 times
sosrope.jpg
sosrope.jpg (122.12 KiB) Viewed 466 times

MM2CVS9
Seaman
Seaman

Post by MM2CVS9 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:35 pm

Beautifully done. You should do a pictured tutorial for us lesser mortals.
Fair Winds and Following Seas
EJ

barba
Petty Officer First Class

Post by barba » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:45 pm

Hi Chuck

Yout rope looks fantastic! Soon I begin to make my own rope for my build. I made rope walk and try it, its working!
But what I see, I mast make some ropes for learning. So, for start I need informations. What thread to use, I try cotton and polyester. Here in Croatia is difficult to find cotton and when I find it, I dont like a color. How You manage the color of Your ropes? What I see from the picture, black ropes is not made from black threat, looks very realistic.

regards
Barba

Chuck
Seaman
Seaman

Post by Chuck » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:14 pm

Thanks

Unfortunately the average model builder doesnt have access to the thread that I buy. Because I am a commercial buyer, I am allowed to buy the stuff and my colors are all custom dyed. Under the agreement I can not sell it direct once bought but must use it to make something....most companies make textiles or other items. It is called Catolin. It is a blend of Cotton and linen. Usually 60%/40%. When I place an order the minimum for me is $1450 per order. Its much like Coats and clark industrial who make fantastic commercial thread in unlimited sizes but you must buy it commercially and in huge quantities.

Take a look at this link for example...

This stuff by Coats and Clark (Terko Satin) is rarely available on the web retail but its even better than the stuff I use. But its crazy expensive because the minimum order is even more for each size than my current source...which I am keeping as a company secret. But I have been lucky and found some Coats and Clark on EBAY although not every size is easily found. Usually just the small stuff. But if you ever find it....buy it up. I use a dark dark brown.....and a light brown color. But I also make and stock tan and black because most folks buy it even though in my opinion it is not the best color choice.

http://www.coatsindustrial.com/en/produ ... erko-satin

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/t ... ent=494789

Chuck

barba

Post by barba » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:31 pm

Thanks Chuch for information. I check for this information.

Chuck
Seaman
Seaman

Post by Chuck » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:48 pm

I actually just finished up the rigging on my cutter a few day ago. Heres a shot of the dark brown rope on the model after finishing up all the rigging.
loweryardrigged1.jpg
loweryardrigged1.jpg (78.37 KiB) Viewed 419 times

barba

Post by barba » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:16 pm

Very nice work, must try with brown combination. If is not a problem, what thickness is the rope on picture,
For now, I have more problems with smaller rope.

Chuck, thanks for information, You give me a lot to work to.

regards
Barba

Chuck
Seaman
Seaman

Post by Chuck » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:57 pm

Which picture?

This is a group shot of some of my sizes......in light brown. Some are 3 strand rope and others are 4 strand rope. If you start with good raw material there wont be any fuzz and no lumps......if the thread you start with is fuzzy the rope you make from it will be fuzzy. I avoid synthetics and always try to use a cotton/linen blend or Egyptian cotton.
lightbrownrope.jpg
lightbrownrope.jpg (352.4 KiB) Viewed 412 times
Diameters are 1.14mm, .89mm, .63mm, .45mm, .30mm and .20mm

I also make larger sizes.......not pictured......1.37mm, 1.57mm, and 2mm

barba

Post by barba » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:10 pm

I thought of the last picture, but dasn't matter, you explained everything with this picture. I'm about to start testing soon enough.
I'm happy with a build so far, so I want this part(riging) to be on the same level,

Return to “Rigging: Covers all Standing and Running”