Avoiding fuzzy thread

This is to discuss all aspects about Rigging both Standing and Running such as Shrouds, Ratlines, Stays, Deadeyes, Blocks of all types, etc. How do you do it? Got any shortcuts or tips to share?
Chuck
Seaman
Seaman

Re: Avoiding fuzzy thread

Postby Chuck » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:49 am

I make all of my own scale rope. A light bulb never seemed to do the trick for me. I usually use a combination of good quality beeswax and a candle flame to remove the fuzz from my rope. I am actually making rope right now this morning. Here are some photos.

I treat the dark brown or black rope differently than the tan for running rigging.

All of my rope is placed on a table after I make it as shown below. Once neatly placed on the table I use sharp #11 blade to slice off any large lumps. You can see many coils I made just this morning waiting for this treatment. I will carefully examine the entire length of rope for lumps which are easily sliced off with a sharp blade.

burningrope.jpg
burningrope.jpg (57.32 KiB) Viewed 28 times

Then the rope is waxed lightly. Once waxed the rope is pulled through a candle flame carefully a bit at a time. The thinner ropes are run through the flame quicker than the larger ones. This really crisps up the rope and removes all the fuzz while at the same time melting the wax so it soaks into the rope. Just like a hot iron, this flame also conditions and removes any kinks or wrinkles in the rope making it very straight and smooth so it hangs wonderfully.

bigrope.jpg
bigrope.jpg (152.84 KiB) Viewed 28 times

I do not run my tan rope through a candle flame because the soot from the candle will dirty the rope. In the case of the tan rope a gas flame is used to avoid any staining.

Here are some examples of my shop-made rope on my model. No fuzzies or lumps after treatment even with this level of magnification.

SOSloweryardslingrigged.jpg
SOSloweryardslingrigged.jpg (74.04 KiB) Viewed 28 times

sosrope.jpg
sosrope.jpg (122.12 KiB) Viewed 28 times
MM2CVS9
Seaman
Seaman

Re: Avoiding fuzzy thread

Postby MM2CVS9 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:35 pm

Beautifully done. You should do a pictured tutorial for us lesser mortals.
Fair Winds and Following Seas
EJ

Return to “Rigging: Covers all Standing and Running”