HMS Blandford Project Main Support Page

Welcome to the Blandford Project. We will be building a cross-section of an early 18th century British 20 gun ship at the main mast. The purpose of this exercise is to introduce you to the process involved in building a model from scratch.

Moderator: Mike41

Donnie
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Re: HMS Blandford Project Main Support Page

Post by Donnie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:26 pm

I will report this to mike now. You will get an answer soon.
Donnie
Current Build: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

"War Ships are safe at harbor, but that is not what they were made for"

donfarr
Petty Officer First Class

Post by donfarr » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:19 pm

Dave and Donnie, I have downloaded the top revisions can not measure it, have not printed it yet but the date shown for both the 1:32 and the 1:48 versions have a date 12/2/17, do not know what happened to yours. Don Farr
donfarr

Mike41

Post by Mike41 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:42 pm

Hi Don,
The drawings dated 12/2/17 are the latest drawings.
Mike
Mike41

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:27 am

Hi Doc,
For those of us building the 1:32 version, can you confirm that the upper jig has not been changed from the original? I downloaded it and it is exactly the same as the previous version. The keel measurement is 7 - 13/16" (not 8") and the sheet is the dated 9/23/17, as was the original version.
The PM that I sent out (I thought) should have had the revised Building Board Top for both 1:32 and 1:48. Therefore, you questioned the 1:32 version and I can post that info again here:
http://www.shipsofscale.com/blandford/p ... -Sht-1.pdf

The date should have 12/02/17 on it. You should not have to refresh your browser as this is a pdf. Please confirm so we can make sure. Just click the link and the next thing you should see is a PDF drawing of the 1:32 upper jig part.
Donnie

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:26 pm

After Mike made some phone calls to some folks, we believe the problems of the prints have been resolved. Lets just say the keel length has been corrected.

Please go back to the BOM and download - each Part 1 - 4 has the same identical BOM that list everything for parts 1 - 4 so, it does not matter what page you go to. I will send out a PM with the link embedded just in case. As a side note, always refresh your browser, and for most, F5 should work.

Donnie
per Mike
Donnie

Canoe21

Post by Canoe21 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:22 pm

Hello Mike

I am just about ready to print or have my Blandford Cross Section plans. I was on the understanding that for the 1:48 scale that I needed to have the upper and lower build jig printed on 11" by 17" is this still the case? I also see in one of your last updates that now you are recommending 11" by 17" for all scales. If this is the case then I can not use my 8 1/2" by 11" printer is this correct?

Just to be on the safe side what should be the sizes of the upper and lower build jig be front to back and side to side on the inside of the building jig. Sorry to be of so much trouble to you but I just wanted to make sure of the sizes before I start,

Regards Lawrence [Canoe21 ] ENJOY
canoe21 { Lawrence }

PRESENT BUILD - viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1221 - GOLDEN HIND< Harold A. Underhill build plans, scale 1:60

Completed Build viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1172 HMS Bounty, scratch build, scale 1:60, using Amati build plans

Mike41

Post by Mike41 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:29 am

Hi Lawrence,
Welcome back to the build. Due to some dimensional changes you need to download the latest 1:48 scale drawings and bill of material. The drawings for the building jig and keel need to be printed on 11 x 17 paper but the rest of the drawings will fit on 8 1/2 x 11 size paper. All the 1:32 scale drawings still require 11 x 17 paper.

Building Jig 1:48 Dimensions:
Top inside – front to back from outside Frame 1 to outside Frame 9 = 5”
- side to side Frame 1 outside = 7”, Frame 9 outside = 6 1/2"
Note there is a gentle curve from Frame 1 to Frame 9 (use template)
Bottom - Length = 6” width = 9”

Have fun,
Mike
Mike41

Canoe21

Post by Canoe21 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:52 am

Hello Mike

I thank you very much for your information as I did want to get the two jig printings printed early next week. I am having a bit of a late start due to the fact that I wanted to get the deck boat on my Golden Hind completed before I started the Blandford cross section build.

I do have one more question and that is will you be showing the Mast and Yards in this build or do we have to research for this information, just curious that is all, ENJOY

Regards Lawrence [Canoe21 ]
canoe21 { Lawrence }

PRESENT BUILD - viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1221 - GOLDEN HIND< Harold A. Underhill build plans, scale 1:60

Completed Build viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1172 HMS Bounty, scratch build, scale 1:60, using Amati build plans

Mike41

Post by Mike41 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:03 pm

Hi Lawrence,
This model is a navel board style, showing a stub mast with no rigging. The model is too short to add the full mast and yards, or long enough to show the full channels for the shrouds, backstays or yard brace pendants.
Mike
Mike41

Canoe21

Post by Canoe21 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:15 am

Hello Mike

Just a thought, yes I can see your point. Thanks again for your information, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence
canoe21 { Lawrence }

Return to “Blandford Cross Section Project - Group Build”