Sovereign of the Seas manually carved decorations

Janos, that’s superb!
Just for the reference- what is the scale of the model?
Here is the building log of this amazing model

Thanks for the comments, Gents, I appreciate them very much! Sorry about the delay, I was on holiday for a few weeks.
The scale, as Uwe has written already (thanks, Uwe!) is 1:78. It took me about 3 years to build, although in a longer time frame as I was working on other projects in-between too. My fingers are still (relatively) intact, with some scars, but still in working condition. I swallowed a remarkable quantity of dust though.
Janos

Browsing around on these forums is like wandering around in a vast museum/art gallery. Go down a corridor, turn a corner and.. WOW! WHAT? REALLY?:oops:
OMG!!!!! And to think all these amazing artists are just our neighbors, regular folks, like from Australia, Poland, the Netherlands, Russia, Latvia, China,
Canada, the U.S., etc.
Janos, your talent, perseverance, and dedication is just ASTONISHING! Your work is nothing short of miraculous!
I'm glad I wandered down the right corridor and entered the right gallery. I had no idea I was going to be treated to such a collection of masterpieces!

Your carving work is exquisite Janos. Can you give us a bit of background to your methods:

- What sort of wood are you using?
- What carving tools are you using (hand chisels, Dremel, etc)
- I am assuming you are not using any computer aided carving

Truly works of art….

PeterG
Peter,
I am really sorry for not to respond to you earlier.
- I am using European Boxwood for the carvings.
- Mostly (95%) I am using a Micromotor (mine is the Marathon range, but there are others too). Two basic types of bits are used: milling bits with different size and shape heads and diamond bits with 300 and 600 grits. The rough contours are cut out with the good old fretsaw, and I am also using knives, chisels, files, sandpaper - all the boring stuff which can produce dust.
- No, all carvings are done manually, not 3D print or CNC is involved. At times I was thinking of using a laser engraver (just for drawing the outlines on the timber surface) but it never realised.
At the moment I am not carving much as I am busy with the Batavia project but after finishing it (probably in a couple of months) I go back to continuing De Crone which has lots of it.
János

However you get there, your results are truly astonishing. You must be a very efficient and highly practiced craftsman. Sweat equity is the only currency that pays off in results like yours. Thanks for the information and guidance, much appreciated. My own meager attempt of late followed pretty much along the lines of yours. There's nothing like a little old-fashioned chip generating carving to get down to the final detail.;)

Pete

Back