Sopwith Camel from Model Airways

I just started this kit. I normally build stick and tissue kits and have no experience in working with the metal bits.

I'm looking for tips and suggestions on how to clean up the metal flashing, say for example on the cylinder cooling fins. I have small files but then those areas look polished and it almost makes the show more readily than just leaving the flashing in place.

It looks like you did a nice job on this one. I open to suggestions and want to learn some new techniques

I just started this kit. I normally build stick and tissue kits and have no experience in working with the metal bits.

I'm looking for tips and suggestions on how to clean up the metal flashing, say for example on the cylinder cooling fins. I have small files but then those areas look polished and it almost makes the show more readily than just leaving the flashing in place.

It looks like you did a nice job on this one. I open to suggestions and want to learn some new techniques
Hey Rusty,
If you are still looking for help on this, usually, the metal is relatively soft and you can clean things like the cooling fins on the cylinders with an exacto knife blade. Just like other things, be patient and go slow. :)
Hope that helps,

Jeff

Hey Rusty,
If you are still looking for help on this, usually, the metal is relatively soft and you can clean things like the cooling fins on the cylinders with an exacto knife blade. Just like other things, be patient and go slow. :)
Hope that helps,

Jeff
I'm getting the hang of it. Using a combo of blades, files and such. Just taking my time and having fun with it.

Thanks for the help.

Your Camel looks great, I have thought of building one of these kits and covering half of the kit, one wing and half the fuselage.

Kind of like the admiralty style kits with open sides and decks.

Beautiful. Good size and detail.The half covering idea is good.

Beautiful
I was at the Technisches Museum Wien last week end and took a few photos. I have the Hachette 1:32 scale Avro lancaster bomber kit, but I do not know when to start the build. I hope next year as I am building the HM Bark Endeavour. You can see the build log.

IMG_20230220_162730.jpg

IMG_20230220_162812.jpg

IMG_20230220_162832.jpg

Somehow I managed to overlook this Camel. I love the tone of the stain (?) I assume that you used. I can add this to the Gallery.
Thank you for sharing. I also have this model in the cue to build maybe soon.

Back