Saw or laser?

Obviously I'm not talking about kit assemblers, but about model makers who start from a drawing and sheets of plywood.
Well, I seem to notice that practically everyone uses the laser, while few if any use the saw.
My question is... Only in Italy the lasers cost like a kidney or is there another system for cutting out the various pieces?
Tks Eugenio

Ovviamente non parlo degli assemblatori di kit, ma dei modellisti che partono da un disegno e da fogli di compensato.
Bene, mi sembra di notare che praticamente tutti usano il laser, mentre pochi o nessuno usano la sega.
La mia domanda è... Solo in Italia i laser costano come un rene o c'è un'altro sistema per ritagliare i vari pezzi?

Obviously I'm not talking about kit assemblers, but about model makers who start from a drawing and sheets of plywood.
Well, I seem to notice that practically everyone uses the laser, while few if any use the saw.
My question is... Only in Italy the lasers cost like a kidney or is there another system for cutting out the various pieces?
Tks Eugenio

Ovviamente non parlo degli assemblatori di kit, ma dei modellisti che partono da un disegno e da fogli di compensato.
Bene, mi sembra di notare che praticamente tutti usano il laser, mentre pochi o nessuno usano la sega.
La mia domanda è... Solo in Italia i laser costano come un rene o c'è un'altro sistema per ritagliare i vari pezzi?

actually i see it the other way around that very few use a laser and a majority use a saw. Cost of a laser starts around $3,000.00 and up. You can buy home and hobby sizes but they are low wattage and will not cut through 1/4 plywood in one pass.

a 10 inch table top bandsaw is the best tool for the home scratch builder.

Hello my friend sometimes you need the milk not the cow so find a workshop with a laser and cut your dxf as you desire for a fee
I did that with help of one of my friend with a publicity firm
Daniel

I think also, that most of the scratch builders are cutting with a jig-saw or band-saw
Only a minority is using laser - and I think there will no big change in the next years

if you are thinking of getting a laser, make sure you also get a way to exhaust the fumes. I can just imagine the smell when burning through plywood. Definitely saw for me.

As others have said, I use both a band saw and a scroll saw as appropriate. However, I’ve also been thinking of either a laser or a CNC machine. I’m leaning toward a CNC as the cost of a quality laser is 3 times what a CNC would cost.

Saw..

Läser seems a little bit like cheating to me... But use whatever tool fits your need. There are no rules.

It doesn't matter I guess what one would like to spend on models. Either it is laser cut or made from saw cuts as long as they are accurate, I would say.
For my next build of the Bounty I hope to have some good detailed information to go by and yes I will cut it out using machinery. All this means is more time spent smoothing and shaping. That will keep out of the way of Cheese and Kisses hair. LOL
The key is good information to go with. I am a complete novice to this type of model-making and looking forward to creating her in all her glory. Model makers appear to skimp on detail in a lot of their models and if you review this scale model of the stage coach by AL, you may understand where I am coming from.

It doesn't matter I guess what one would like to spend on models. Either it is laser cut or made from saw cuts as long as they are accurate, I would say.
For my next build of the Bounty I hope to have some good detailed information to go by and yes I will cut it out using machinery. All this means is more time spent smoothing and shaping. That will keep out of the way of Cheese and Kisses hair. LOL
The key is good information to go with. I am a complete novice to this type of model-making and looking forward to creating her in all her glory. Model makers appear to skimp on detail in a lot of their models and if you review this scale model of the stage coach by AL, you may understand where I am coming from.
Maybe not the right place to have this article shown.

I use all 3. My favorite for up to 3/8" is the scroll saw. There's an appropriate blade for each. Laser has it's place but I found it always leaves burnt wood witness marks. Just my thought.

Tks Eugenio

I do not know about Italy, but in the United States there are "Maker Spaces" where you can use a laser or CNC machine for an hourly rate. You may also want to investigate the use of one at a local college engineering department. You may be able to use one for a minimal price.

Back