Patience, Focus, Attention

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

I often hear people who are either starting a project or want to start shipbuilding - or as far as that goes, any model that they do not have the patience to deal with it. So, with that said, I would like to maybe shed some light on the matter.

I think that just saying the phrase "I don't have the patience to do that" might be the wrong word or the wrong concept.
Here are some definitions I found:

Patience or Determination (Determination is more applicable)
the ability to wait, or to continue doing something despite difficulties

Focus

the ability to concentrate one's attention or to sustain concentration

Attention
think
about something or someone carefully or with interest

Mindset
Is just setting your mind to the task. Sometimes, your mindset might not be into it at the moment - then don't try and work on the model. Several things can alter your mindset at the moment: you are in a hurry, you are being distracted, negative thoughts, and a bad day. These types of things can interfere, however, some people can work on their model to EASE their mindset and relax.

Mood
This is kind of closely related to the Mindset. If your mood is just not good for the day, or as they say "I am just not in the mood to work on my model", then the best thing to do is just don't work on it and wait until your mood changes. (and it will)

So, when I want to work on my ship, model, or whatever, I go to these phrases and think of which one I am having problems with.

Well Donnie.. from the lack of attention to your thought provoking post, it seems our friends here don't have the patience to read it, probably too busy focusing on their projects ;).

I have to say.. it seems to me that we all have a slightly masochistic streak..the struggle with minute details, frustations with glue failures, missing parts, stiff planks, confusing or lacking instructions, broken parts..
But the rewards are worth the 'pain'. Every little step in the build gives tremendous satisfaction, pride and joy.
Which lasts only while our model is not yet completed.
After which we can not wait to start torturing ourselves anew.....

I believe that we are all somewhat impatient by nature. Focus and determination comes from the desire to have something or to do something overcomes our inherent impatience. :)

In my case I would say stubbornness. The stubbornness that makes me say that while I do not possess the skills of the members on this forum, I will build this ship. I can only improve my level of skill by stubbornly pushing on, making my mistakes, finding them and trying to correct them. It also helps to be a thick headed irish american!

Reactions: uri
Yes, but the one thing that has not been said is that everyone one of these traits mentioned are a trait that can be improved. :)
Sooo.. at least some of us should by now,
after fooling around with ship models for 50 years or so,
be patient, determined, focused, able and happy guys.. hmmm...:rolleyes:

(by the way, where are the girls!?)

I would add learning to your list. Almost every time I look at other people’s efforts I learn something new. A new way to make a part. A better option for clamping difficult areas. New tools (some of which I had never heard of used in other crafts and hobbies). The list is endless. Learning something new is, personally, one of the main reasons I don’t give up.

I think patience is generally only required if you are bored with waiting for something. Frustration at slow progress is at times a problem of course. But in the great scheme of things, there's no hurry because satisfaction can be found in the smallest of achievements. like rigging a single block nicely even when you know there are another 180 to go.

I would add learning to your list. Almost every time I look at other people’s efforts I learn something new. A new way to make a part. A better option for clamping difficult areas. New tools (some of which I had never heard of used in other crafts and hobbies). The list is endless. Learning something new is, personally, one of the main reasons I don’t give up.
I agree, if I ever stop learning or improving I will probably lose interest and move on to something else. I think we make a mental trade-off when a job doesn't go quite right first time; "shall I undo it and rework it? or just live with it?" In the moment my frustration can lead me to a distorted decision, so I try to leave it and come back later to decide with a better frame of mind.

Donnie, your post hit the mark for me. Although I'm just starting out in this hobby, I have found that when I rush on an assembly, I find that usually it will have to be redone several times to correct my mistakes. The Dory that I have just completed brought to light all of the considerations you mentioned. Having the patience to get something done correctly the first time is usually the fastest way to complete the assembly anyway.
One of the other major points you mentioned is to step away when frustration is creeping in or you're just not in the mood to actually be working on the model. I found that following your advice allowed me to enjoy the hobby more than before.
Thanks for the post.

Donnie, your post hit the mark for me. Although I'm just starting out in this hobby, I have found that when I rush on an assembly, I find that usually it will have to be redone several times to correct my mistakes. The Dory that I have just completed brought to light all of the considerations you mentioned. Having the patience to get something done correctly the first time is usually the fastest way to complete the assembly anyway.
One of the other major points you mentioned is to step away when frustration is creeping in or you're just not in the mood to actually be working on the model. I found that following your advice allowed me to enjoy the hobby more than before.
Thanks for the post.
Learning has occurred and experience gained ! ;)

Back