Number and Thickness of Frames?

Hello all, having recently added a laser cutter to my collection of tools I'm messing about with a Bluenose scratch build, sparked by having, but not wanting to build, the Billings No. 600 POB kit. Nor do I want to buy the seemingly excellent kit you're all working on - I want to play with my toys and build from scratch. As I'm drafting the profiles in Fusion 360 I haven't yet decided on scale i.e. it's currently based on the Billings bulkhead and keel profiles but it's a few keystrokes to upscale to whatever size would seem nice.

Anyway - could anyone tell me how many frames you make up the skeleton and their thickness in the kit, or in real life?

In the absence of low-cost plans I've scoured the web for as many free pictures and drawings as I can find, but if anyone could point me towards cheap but good plans that would also be appreciated. This won't be a museum standard build, not least because it'll be my first scratch-build and first bit of modelling in wood, so I don't really need super-accurate plans, just something that goes a bit further than the rather scant Billings sketches.

Thanks, and I've no doubt I'll be perusing many of your logs over the next couple of years!

the best set of plans for the Blouenose was sold on the Model Ship Builder site unfortunately that sit is now gone. i would suggest you contact Winston who was selling the plans.
he is a member here so send him a PM

winston.JPG

Thanks Dave, I’ll give that a try. I’d tried finding MSB but, as you say, the site seems to have closed down.

Anyway - could anyone tell me how many frames you make up the skeleton and their thickness in the kit, or in real life?
Hi Kevin. I suppose you already know that the Bluenose has original 54 frames?
The BN drawing of Model Shipways are also very detailed.
And L.B. Jenson made very fine detailed drawing in his ‘Saga of the Great Fishing Schooners’.
Regards, Peter

Thanks Peter, I think I did manage to figure that out eventually, but along the way swerved towards the Ernestina, as the plans are freely available. I really just want to play around with a wood build, though at this point I've gone no further than downloading the plans from the library of congress site.

Back