HMS GRANADO 1:48 scale PoF CAF Model by Keith

Hi Keef, you can use a soldering iron to aid in making bends. Or even sweeping the strakes along the edge of a hot iron. Or even a hot air gun (paint stripper).

Maybe something here to help?
Thanks Paul. l will try using a soldering iron Thumbsup

Soaking with water - I think I did not use hot water, but I am pretty sure that it would help a little bit
and the bending was done with a plank bender I purchased once from Kolderstock
But I used the tip which is shown on the right - here you get better the heat into the wood
Screenshot 2024-04-29 165622.png

I do all my plank bending by soaking and a womans curling iron. The clamping part really helps with bending.

View attachment 444678
Thanks for the info Daniel, sound like a good idea. My wife has quite short hair and l have very little so there is not much call for one of these in our household. l shall try what Paul (Dockattner) suggested and use my soldering iron. Cheers.

After marking the positions of the deck clamps, they then had to be fitted. The upper deck clamp consists of 3 parts of 2 mm thick precut timber which have to be shaped to fit the tight curves of the bow and stern sections. My solution to the bow section was to make a jig using some spare timber l had knocking around, which l cut to shape on my scroll saw using the drawing supplied as a guide. After soaking the pieces in cold water for about an hour, they became a bit more flexible and using a couple of clamps to hold them against the jig and with the aid of a soldering iron l was able to gradually bend the piece to the desired shape. For the stern section, as it required less of a curve, but had a twist, l just soaked the part and clamped it to the frame and left it overnight. It took the shape reasonably well after completely drying. It all fits spot on so very pleased with the outcome. l have my surgery scheduled for Tuesday but have to stay overnight at the hospital Monday night so not sure when l can next update. Thank you for your comments, likes and interest in my log. l very much appreciate it.

DSC08093.JPG

DSC08094.JPG

DSC08097.JPG

DSC08099.JPG

DSC08100.JPG

DSC08102.JPG

DSC08106.JPG

DSC08107.JPG

DSC08110.JPG

DSC08113.JPG

DSC08115.JPG

DSC08118.JPG

After marking the positions of the deck clamps, they then had to be fitted. The upper deck clamp consists of 3 parts of 2 mm thick precut timber which have to be shaped to fit the tight curves of the bow and stern sections. My solution to the bow section was to make a jig using some spare timber l had knocking around, which l cut to shape on my scroll saw using the drawing supplied as a guide. After soaking the pieces in cold water for about an hour, they became a bit more flexible and using a couple of clamps to hold them against the jig and with the aid of a soldering iron l was able to gradually bend the piece to the desired shape. For the stern section, as it required less of a curve, but had a twist, l just soaked the part and clamped it to the frame and left it overnight. It took the shape reasonably well after completely drying. It all fits spot on so very pleased with the outcome. l have my surgery scheduled for Tuesday but have to stay overnight at the hospital Monday night so not sure when l can next update. Thank you for your comments, likes and interest in my log. l very much appreciate it.

View attachment 445170

View attachment 445171

View attachment 445172

View attachment 445173

View attachment 445174

View attachment 445175

View attachment 445176

View attachment 445177

View attachment 445178

View attachment 445179

View attachment 445180

View attachment 445181
Hi Keith, A successful outcome, well done

Very good work - especially the small twist is a little bit tricky, but you made here a very good job
And I am pretty sure, that also your doctors will make a good job (with a good jig, some soaking and drying over night ;) )
I am crossing all available fingers - keep care

Very good work - especially the small twist is a little bit tricky, but you made here a very good job
And I am pretty sure, that also your doctors will make a good job (with a good jig, some soaking and drying over night ;) )
I am crossing all available fingers - keep care
Thank you Uwe. I shall report back soon

Looking awesome! I love the jig you made for clamping the planks...that is probably the most efficient/effective way!

Good luck with the surgery and prayers for a successful outcome!
Thanks my friend. Very much appreciated

Not a stupid question at all. I have glued all joints of the cradle. I'm not sure if the instructions tell you to but l'm pretty sure this is the thing to do
Thanks for that. I've been filing/sanding some holes to make them more of slip fit, rather than a pressed fit, but that wouldn't be good if no glue were to be used.

Back