Grants Xebec 1:60 (using Jabeque Cazador Occre1:60 kit) [COMPLETED BUILD]

The main halyard and yard halyard(no idea what it is called…can’t find the terminology anywhere)
B9BF3C24-CBF4-4ACE-B95A-65B92BFC2867.jpeg
Hello Grant. This rope is called "lift". Here's a page from Mondfeld's book - your number 7 tackle.

09-59-02-show_file.jpg

Hello Grant. This rope is called "lift". Here's a page from Mondfeld's book - your number 7 tackle.

View attachment 442475
Good evening Dave. Thank you. I wish I had this prior to rigging my Xebec. While I am not far off, this would have made my life easier and the rigging more correct. Thanks again. Cheers Grant

Man, I'm lovin this Grant! I am just now noticing that your dark brown rope which look like mostly used for standing rigging has a left lay braid and your light tan ropes for running rigging have a right lay configuration. Is this by design?
Good evening Daniel. Thank you. Nope not by design…..wish I can say it was ROTF. I have the rope and I just rig…:D. I did not notice this until you pointed it out to me. Is there a correct way in which the braiding should lay?
Cheers Grant

Good evening Dave. Thank you. I wish I had this prior to rigging my Xebec. While I am not far off, this would have made my life easier and the rigging more correct. Thanks again. Cheers Grant
Looking at this carefully , I am pretty accurate with my design for the Mediterranean style parrel and main halyard - I am building a Barbary style ship. Cheers Grant

I am in synch with Daniel (wrongly named him as Jef in another post, My apology). She is a WOW factor, and everything is beautifully crafted! WOW again!
Good evening. Thank you indeed for this wonderful compliment. The encouragement from all you guys, the information and at time’s constructive criticism makes this forum a special place. Cheers Grant

Good evening Daniel. Thank you. Nope not by design…..wish I can say it was ROTF. I have the rope and I just rig…:D. I did not notice this until you pointed it out to me. Is there a correct way in which the braiding should lay?
Cheers Grant
For running rigging (light ropes), right-handed ropes were used (from left to right, bottom to top)трос.jpgThe ropes for anchors and standing rigging (dark ropes) were left-handed (from right to left, from bottom to top)кабель.jpgThus, Grant, you yourself, without suspecting it, installed the correct ropes everywhere :). On my caravel, unfortunately, I could not comply with this rule with light-colored ropes ((

Is there a correct way in which the braiding should lay?
Hi Grant, I honestly don't know. @Dave boatswain has an answer which I have heard before, but I am not sure his presentation is valid throughout all the different countries who made these old ships. As Paul @dockattner said it might open up this old can of worms again. Regardless of location, all my rigging is right lay because the type of source threads I use look way better spun up right-handed. Having said that my anchor lines are the only ones I make as cable laid which is a combination of left and right lay rope.

Good morning

Foresail done…..stained with coffee to get a lighty weathered effect as with my other sails.

I use a PVA and water mix (50/50) on the reef lines and the knot. I press the knot down making sure the direction of each line is correct. If I don’t do this the lines are all over the place as a 0.4mm thread is to light to hang correctly. (To two of my “mentors” Sasha and Vladimir whose work I admire- yes the reef lines are not correct ;) - see previous discussions - BTW these guys have helped me consistently and I appreciate them)
View attachment 441943
Once they are 100% dry I will cut off the excess you see in the pics.

The blocks, robands and parrel are on. The kit parrel was way too big so I used a metal cutter and files to cut the kit spacers smaller. Painted them my red/brown colour:
View attachment 441942View attachment 441944
Now the fun stuff starts again:D.
Cheers Grant
I like the way you attached the sails and the parrels to the yard before installing the yard. That is a great idea and I will try and do the same with my Constitution

For running rigging (light ropes), right-handed ropes were used (from left to right, bottom to top)View attachment 442560The ropes for anchors and standing rigging (dark ropes) were left-handed (from right to left, from bottom to top)View attachment 442561Thus, Grant, you yourself, without suspecting it, installed the correct ropes everywhere :). On my caravel, unfortunately, I could not comply with this rule with light-colored ropes ((
Good morning Dave. Thanks for this learning. Much appreciated. I guess I got a little lucky for a change:D.
Cheers Grant

Hi Grant, I honestly don't know. @Dave boatswain has an answer which I have heard before, but I am not sure his presentation is valid throughout all the different countries who made these old ships. As Paul @dockattner said it might open up this old can of worms again. Regardless of location, all my rigging is right lay because the type of source threads I use look way better spun up right-handed. Having said that my anchor lines are the only ones I make as cable laid which is a combination of left and right lay rope.
Good morning Daniel. I am reading up on my next ship and I have noticed how each country did things differently. I read an interesting article on treenails (a thesis from a US university- can’t remember which one, it’s on google) and how the French often used steel nails on some points while the British only used wood, the French also at times used a single nail in the plank while the Brits always two- some are counter sunk with tar filling and others stopped with the same wood as the deck, etc etc, etc, etc. Each ship also had differing variations and each time period things evolved- no end to learning with this hobby. Cheers Grant

Good morning. Foremast yard rigging continued :
The lift and parrel block and tackle done and tied off.Made some rope coils and hanks.

I had some fun and decided to see how my IPhone takes super close pics ROTF .

760DB193-23E4-49BA-A982-091A0803880B.jpeg
The fore lift line is a tad wrong. I should have placed the little eyelet more forward so it runs behind the ramshead tackle. Redo….hmmmmmmm??? - it’s a biggie.
Parrel tied off and rope coil:9A261BDA-0FAB-48CC-9AED-8E61FB9AEFB9.jpegThe rope coil was my very last piece of brown rope - I had to used a 0.6mm for the block and tackle vs a 0.5mm - whew I hope I don’t need any more. AND I see I have to finish the nailing by the stem- so small I have not noticed, however must be done.
Aft lift line :
C330A982-4206-47D8-B3E0-A9F6A890F466.jpegAA2A9F10-7F56-4EA3-9C5F-68ECD33D49AF.jpeg
Overall pic with coils and hanks :
47D48B8B-F8F4-4CC6-ABA2-4B0E05278F5F.jpeg
…and some fun photos
4AF16645-D970-486E-8993-A526DC64B5A6.jpegE521D309-C40D-4A45-B9B9-E25B99C7609D.jpeg
Cheers Grant

The lift and parrel block and tackle done and tied off.Made some rope coils and hanks.

View attachment 442785
The fore lift line is a tad wrong. I should have placed the little eyelet more forward so it runs behind the ramshead tackle. Redo….hmmmmmmm??? - it’s a biggie.
Parrel tied off and rope coil:View attachment 442787The rope coil was my very last piece of brown rope - I had to used a 0.6mm for the block and tackle vs a 0.5mm - whew I hope I don’t need any more. AND I see I have to finish the nailing by the stem- so small I have not noticed, however must be done.
Aft lift line :
View attachment 442782View attachment 442783
View attachment 442789
…and some fun photos
View attachment 442788View attachment 442784
Cheers Grant
absolutely wonderful. I like the way everything looks organized. The ropes are tight. Did you make them?

View attachment 442785
Parrel tied off and rope coil:View attachment 442787The rope coil was my very last piece of brown rope - I had to used a 0.6mm for the block and tackle vs a 0.5mm - whew I hope I don’t need any more. AND I see I have to finish the nailing by the stem- so small I have not noticed, however must be done.
Aft lift line :
View attachment 442782View attachment 442783
View attachment 442789
…and some fun photos
View attachment 442788View attachment 442784
Cheers Grant
You did a great job with the rigging, Grant. Your overall and fun pictures gives a very good impression of this ‘simply complex’ rigging.
Regards, Peter

Good morning. A lot of work (Grant became obsessed with getting the fore sail on ROTF ) for the past 2 days.

Pretty much the same as the main sail so some pics:
The Rams heads blocks-
View attachment 442454
The main halyard and yard halyard(no idea what it is called…can’t find the terminology anywhere)
View attachment 442452
Parrel system
View attachment 442453
Parrel block and tackle.

View attachment 442455
Overall progress:
View attachment 442456
Cheers Grant
She’s really coming along, Grant! I love the lateen sails.

Back