Grants Xebec 1:60 (using Jabeque Cazador Occre1:60 kit) [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Grant, I see you have some good information from others in response to your post about rope and block sizes.

As you are no doubt aware there are quite a few historical and interpretive sources with many accompanying tables for a variety of ships. I find I get bogged down trying to find the right table/s for the year, size and type of vessel I am interested in. However, there is a good general guide that may assist you, which is the Appendix of James Lee’s “The Masting and Rigging of English Ship’s of War”.

He firstly draws from contemporary masting tables or from proportionate tables given in contemporary books and manuscripts. The proportionate diameters of the masts then, later in the appendix, helps work out the proportionate rigging sizes. The standing and running rigging are worked out in relation to the appropriate mast stay. Following his pages feels like a flow chart in words but it’s reasonably intuitive. For the block sizes, deadeyes, hearts etc., at the end of the Appendix, he has worked out sizes based on the size of rope reeving through them.

The Appendix does, over seven large pages, provide some good general information that may suit your needs. Trying to fiddlearse around with circumference to diameter, imperial to metric, fractions of inches etc. and a mix of it all is a headache. Lees has obviated, as he says, “the need for masses of tables” and has therefore worked out the sizes, proportionally. I hope this helps or at least gives you another source.
Good evening Roger. Thank you very much. I will source this book - hopefully I can get it on line as a download. I agree with you there is plenty information out there which can be rather confusing. Cheers Grant

Good morning

Foresail done…..stained with coffee to get a lighty weathered effect as with my other sails.

I use a PVA and water mix (50/50) on the reef lines and the knot. I press the knot down making sure the direction of each line is correct. If I don’t do this the lines are all over the place as a 0.4mm thread is to light to hang correctly. (To two of my “mentors” Sasha and Vladimir whose work I admire- yes the reef lines are not correct ;) - see previous discussions - BTW these guys have helped me consistently and I appreciate them)
711FEAFE-A558-4C7C-A2B6-1320A2413D0A.jpeg
Once they are 100% dry I will cut off the excess you see in the pics.

The blocks, robands and parrel are on. The kit parrel was way too big so I used a metal cutter and files to cut the kit spacers smaller. Painted them my red/brown colour:
1E6F1526-0602-42AD-8C94-E5ADE0663C5A.jpeg942ACA63-9CD7-4EA8-903E-17DF02D34141.jpeg
Now the fun stuff starts again:D.
Cheers Grant

Good morning

Foresail done…..stained with coffee to get a lighty weathered effect as with my other sails.

I use a PVA and water mix (50/50) on the reef lines and the knot. I press the knot down making sure the direction of each line is correct. If I don’t do this the lines are all over the place as a 0.4mm thread is to light to hang correctly. (To two of my “mentors” Sasha and Vladimir whose work I admire- yes the reef lines are not correct ;) - see previous discussions - BTW these guys have helped me consistently and I appreciate them)
View attachment 441943

The blocks, robands and parrel are on. The kit parrel was way too big so I used a metal cutter and files to cut the kit spacers smaller. Painted them my red/brown colour:
View attachment 441942View attachment 441944
Cheers Grant
Very impressive

Good morning

View attachment 441943

View attachment 441942View attachment 441944
Cheers Grant
Even in close-up it looks very neat, Grant. ;) And the overall look is impressive. :) Up to the installing on the Xebec.:D
Regards, Peter

I cannot believe how plain silly I am sometimes….

I put my sail on the wrong way around .:mad:. All robands off and redo…..hmmmm. Won’t take too long just a waste of 0.6mm rope. Freaking expensive for me here in SA.

What is shipbuilding without these moments ROTF
Cheers Grant
I hope you noticed it before installing on the mast? Better now then ………..
I had almost the same with a jib sail of my BN. Made the pattern upside down …….
Regards, Peter

I put my sail on the wrong way around .:mad:. All robands off and redo…..hmmmm. Won’t take too long just a waste of 0.6mm rope. Freaking expensive for me here in SA.

Cheers Grant
That is always when you think, 'I did it before, piece of cake, so let's go on.' Most of my redo's are related to this fact.

Cheers Grant
Glad you caught it earlier, but I am sure it will be better this time!

Cheers Grant
You could make your own ropes and learn new ":mad::mad::mad::mad: words" during making. :cool:

I hope you noticed it before installing on the mast? Better now then ………..
I had almost the same with a jib sail of my BN. Made the pattern upside down …….
Regards, Peter
Good morning Peter. I did...luckily the yard does not fit that way or I probably would have ROTF .
Oh boy, I hate it for you Grant.
Hello Daniel. It is not a big redo or difficult so besides a little frustration not too bad.
That is always when you think, 'I did it before, piece of cake, so let's go on.' Most of my redo's are related to this fact.
Good morning Stefaan, (sorry not sure the Dutch spelling of Stephan;)).....TRUE STORY. I often mess up on the recurring items....thinking about work or my next ride rather than concentrating on my ship.
Glad you caught it earlier, but I am sure it will be better this time!
Good morning Jim. Me too !!!
An easy mistake to make...glad you caught it before the experts shot you down!
Good morning Paul. Easy only due to a blonde moment. I actually enjoy the experts shooting me down. Without them I think my ships would be "file 13" materialROTF.
Nobody noticed but you.
Hello Vic. True story, however it does not fit that way around. So I'm forced into a redo.
You could make your own ropes and learn new ":mad::mad::mad::mad: words" during making. :cool:
I could, however I most definitely do not have the patience for that. I'm surprised I even love this hobby so much. Zoly's (Drydock models) ropes are fantastic. It is just the cost of delivery (I can't use SA postal they are useless- give you an example : I have properties in the UK and I got into trouble with the HMRC (-Uk tax) because I only receive correspondence 18 months after it was dispatch) and our import duties are up to 70% on these items. Still better than making my own:D.

Cheers Grant

Good morning. A lot of work (Grant became obsessed with getting the fore sail on ROTF ) for the past 2 days.

Pretty much the same as the main sail so some pics:
The Rams heads blocks-
1D515883-83CC-43EE-96BE-AE97B6B53C0B.jpeg
The main halyard and yard halyard(no idea what it is called…can’t find the terminology anywhere)
B9BF3C24-CBF4-4ACE-B95A-65B92BFC2867.jpeg
Parrel system
CC3F3D1E-52B1-4B25-BA39-6CD4FC597E18.jpeg
Parrel block and tackle.

B135D952-34D1-4F7D-8314-AD6E0DF65D8B.jpeg
Overall progress:
2C911EDE-CA3D-466B-8972-DD361E83BCF4.jpeg
Cheers Grant

Man, I'm lovin this Grant! I am just now noticing that your dark brown rope which look like mostly used for standing rigging has a left lay braid and your light tan ropes for running rigging have a right lay configuration. Is this by design?

Back