Glue.

I have come to a point where I now require Glue for metal to wood, I see lots out there but I would like to know the best glue for the job at hand.

For model ship building I have found that I now use one of two glues for the build…including metal to wood parts. The first is a high tack quick dry hobby PVA white glue such as Aleene’s Tacky Glue. The other glue is the typical CA glue. I have several viscosities of CA on hand…thin, medium, and gel. I use CA gel on most metal to wood applications…a small drop and hold in place for a 10 count. I have not experienced any difficulty with using CA to glue metal to wood on ship model builds. I will also say I have used the PVA tacky glue for metal to wood parts with very good results. The CA seems to have better shear strength if there will be tension on the part.

I developed a serious allergy to CA glue and have tried several alternatives. This one works really well and has a good stopper to prevent the nozzle from getting blocked. Very low odour, good consistency and dries fast. I've heard it referred to as jewelers glue, so if you can't find this brand, just search for jewelers glue. Good luck.

20230820_082135.jpg

I have used the illustrated GS Hypo for sealing rigging knots…that needle tip is top notch for this application…one can control very fine/small drops onto rigging knots…especially ratlines knots…

Back