Display Case for Wright Flyer

Started work during the week on the display case for the Wright Flyer I finished several months ago. I will be moving back to the US from Germany in about a year and wanted to build something that will withstand the move and preserve the model.

I purchased the materials a couple of months ago at two of the German builder supply stores near me – Bauhaus and Hornback. The base is a good grade of 10 mm plywood (50 cm wide); the supports for the base are cut from nominal 25 mm x 50 mm lumber. The plexiglass is by Gutta (www.gutta.com) and is 4 mm thick. I bought 2 - 50 cm x 100 cm sheets for the top, front & back; and 1 – 50 cm x 50 cm sheet for the sides. Total cost of materials, to include a tube of silicone sealant, was about €75 (not including glues and screws that I have left over from other projects).

I cut the plywood so it is just a bit longer than the Wight Flyer is wide and then cut the plexiglass to fit. (I don’t have any full-size power tools right now except a drill so the plexiglass was cut using a backsaw to score it partway through and then finished with a hacksaw blade.)

To simulate the Kitty Hawk, North Carolina area, I dusted the plywood with some sand (using spray adhesive). Probably not the right color/texture for North Carolina sand but it is what I had available in my supply stash. I glued and wired the Wright Flyer to the launching rail and then glued/wired the launching rail to the plywood. The identification sign under the starboard (right) wing tip is partially hiding a thin plexiglass rod (cut from scrap) that, in the absence of a pilot, balances the Flyer.

I drilled and countersunk holes in the plexiglass so I could screw the sides, front & back to the base. So far only the 2 sides and front have been attached to the base (glued/screwed) and each other (glue on the edges; silicone sealant on the inside where the panels join). DSCN8722.JPGDSCN8723.JPGDSCN8724.JPGDSCN8725.JPGDSCN8726.JPG

I will finish this project next weekend.

Rainy day today; good day to finish the display/moving case. I couldn’t get exactly the wood that I wanted for the upper trim so I used what I could get (17 mm x 30 mm strips). I don’t have all the power tools here in Germany that I have in my garage in the US so nothing fancy – just butt joints for the trim. I may do something similar for the bottom at a later date just to hide the visible screws (then again, maybe I’ll paint that area or just leave it as is). The upper Plexiglas panel is screwed to the underside of the top frame and the top frame is screwed to the side frame in four places to hold it in place. I applied a brush on polyurethane finish to the frame to seal it.

I’m happy with the result and am pretty sure that the Flyer will be able to move back to the US in one piece.
DSCN8727.JPGDSCN8729.JPGDSCN8730.JPGDSCN8732.JPGDSCN8733.JPGDSCN8734.JPGDSCN8735.JPG

Back