Bombs and Carcasses for Bomb Vessels

I'm bored. I've finished my Ragusian Carrack, and think I'd like to build a Granada bomb vessel next, but might wait for the Trident version. In the meantime, I have nothing to do. I was reading though the Anatomy of the Ship book The Bomb Vessel Granado by Goodwin, and thought I might sketch up some bombs and carcasses for use as incendiary devices. Here's my first go at it:
1711051366452.png
I didn't include the rivets because I doubt they would be visible.

At first I thought I'd make the empty carcass cage and let the user insert the "incendiary material", but given that is is only a third of an inch high, that seemed impractical. So I filled in an approximate area for such material, figuring the user could use it as-is, paint the "material" a different color, or add texture if desired. I'm not sure how the lifting rings on the carcass will turn out, depending on the resolution of the 3D printer, so can remove them and include holes for insertion of wires instead.

I can certainly post the STL files for people to make or have made, but wanted your thoughts and ideas first. I don't know if the CAF Granado comes with any bombs - they sell some brass ones, which would no doubt be better, but only for the 13" mortar, not the 10", while these could be made in any size. And I have no knowledge of what the Trident Granado, or any other bomb vessel kit, may include.

Maybe I can come up with enough little "jobs" like this to take up the time until the Trident Granado comes out. ;)

That looks like an interesting project. I’ll have to look up those kinds of ships, ought to be some fascinating reading.

Jan

Great work and a very good addon for all Granado builders
I guess you made the 3D-design based on this page in the Goodwin anatomy book?
IMG-8862a.jpg
If you are interested,I can take a look into my other publications to find more information or variants ....

Great work and a very good addon for all Granado builders
I guess you made the 3D-design based on this page in the Goodwin anatomy book?
View attachment 436624
If you are interested,I can take a look into my other publications to find more information or variants ....
Yes, that's what I used. The model is pretty accurate, I think, but I did make the handles a bit oversize to make them, well, makeable, in resin 3D.

And if there are other variations or items you'd like models for, or have information on, sure I'd love to see them.

I've been looking more at the CAF Granado model, and it seems like it has balls for the mortar shot included with the kit, rather than the cast brass shot. Is that correct? Also, can you tell me if planking is included in the kit for both inside and outside of the hull (and full deck, for that matter)? My thoughts are to completely finish and plank one side, while leaving most of the other side open.

Doing a bit of research, I found this diagram for the British Fire Bombing of Quebec in 1759 by bomb ketches and other mortars:
1711161518833.png
Fire Carcass configuration. Left is the carcass iron band and base. Centre is carcass stuffed with flammable material.
On the right is the covered in a tarred linen cloth. It was usually sewn shut. (publish 1762).

Another source mentioned that linen cloth was partially wrapped around the cage to facilitate adding of the combustible material, then sewed up and sometimes rope wooldings wrapped around as well.

Yes, that's what I used. The model is pretty accurate, I think, but I did make the handles a bit oversize to make them, well, makeable, in resin 3D.

And if there are other variations or items you'd like models for, or have information on, sure I'd love to see them.

I've been looking more at the CAF Granado model, and it seems like it has balls for the mortar shot included with the kit, rather than the cast brass shot. Is that correct? Also, can you tell me if planking is included in the kit for both inside and outside of the hull (and full deck, for that matter)? My thoughts are to completely finish and plank one side, while leaving most of the other side open.
To your questions:
In my kit are 50 round balls for immitating the shells and not the shells, which are offered extra - but in the reacks they are not really visible - maybe for decoration some "real" shells would be great f.e. close to the mortar etc.
There is planking for both sides, inside and outside - partly I used the planking from the other side, in order to mix a little bit (grain) and also to adjust the butt joints, but theoretically both sides are fully planked

Back