AKERBOOM 1681 after Ab Hoving nominally 1/66 but drawings in 1/64

Hello Iterum,
For the reconstruction of your Akerboom you are using Ab Hoving's book 'Nicolaes Witsen and Shipbuilding in the Dutch Golden Age' of 2012. As you know this is the English version of Ab Hoving's book 'Nicolaas Witsens Scheeps-Bouw-Konst Open Gestelt' of 1994. But in the English version of the book Witsen's contract for the warship of 140 foot of 1664 and its reconstruction drawing are left out. Here is that contract from the book of Witsen of 1671.
Witsen, 1671, page 111.JPG
And here is the reconstruction drawing based on that contract from Ab Hoving's book of 1994.
Hoving 140', 1994.jpg
R.

That is an extraordinary model, Rodolphe! Is the model contemporary to the 17th C, or by a modern builder? The carved work is so fine.
Hello Hubac's Historian,
Herman was so kind as to answer your question about the age of the model in Gent already and directed you to the building log of the 'Hohenzollernmodell' of Peter Davies-Garner (Olympic1911) for more pictures of the model. Here is another picture of the model in Gent anyway. Enjoy.
Gent, figurehead.JPG
If you want to see more, just say so.
R.

Your observation of the flat shape of the bottoms of Dutch warships up to at least the 70s is accurate. Something must have changed the design in the last decades of the century or the first ones of the next, because all the drawings that gradually begin to appear in these years show much more V-shaped ships. I guess it must have something to do with speed. But who am I?

As to the colors of my Akerboomr: as I said I am hardly an expert on colors, but this 'recipe' came from my Artitec friend Herbert Tomesen. I trust his sense of color better than mine. If he says green was not really used for the upper works, I simply believe him. :)
Hello Ab Hoving,
Good to see that we agree on the flatness of the Dutch warships of the sixteen-sixties like Akerboom. And that Dutch warships of a later date got less flat, or more V-shaped like you say, can also be told from this illustration.
140', 1664 & 1703.jpg
In blue the mainframe of the 140 foot warship of 1664 form Witsen, in red the mainframe of a 140 foot warship from a contract of 1703.
But, if we agree that Akerboom of 1664 was flat, why did you use the Winter-plans of the Hohenzollern-model for your Akerboom? The Winter-plans do not show this flatness, they show a rise of the floor that is more or less the same as the rise of the floor of the 140 foot warship of 1703.

As to the colours. Maybe it is a good idea to invite your friend Herbert Tomesen to join the discussion. It would be great if he would share his research here. To get him interested here is a Van de Velde painting of Beschermer of 1665, a full member of the Akerboom-family, from the Rijksmuseum. As you know, Herbert made a model of Beschermer, in green.
Beschermer.png
R.

Back