View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:59 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 744 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 75  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:24 pm 
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

United States of America
This is a build log of OcCre's 1/90 Santisima Trinidad. This ship has been built or is in process of being built by a few freinds here on MSW of which I am thankful for their guidance and help. I am sure that I will be asking for help along the way. So I thank each one of you in advance for your encouragement.

So with much anticipation here is my build log. The image is seen with all contents. This image is very familiar with those undertaking the task of building this ship. But, for those that might want to see the latest box of contents, it is here below. I received this ship December 21, 2008.

Thanks for joining me in this build.

Donnie
ps I want to thank Charles for sending me the English Version of instructions.

Box Contents as of 12-26-08

Box Contents as of 12-26-08

No Guts, No Glory !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:25 pm 

United States of America
Started Gluing up the frames. It seems that it might be overkill for alignment using the clamps, however, I figure that this is the most important in making sure the hull frame is square.

Donnie

No Guts, No Glory !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:26 pm 

United States of America
One part of making the alignment of frames square, I almost overlooked making sure that the Frames were of equal distance of port and starboard as well. The circles show that I made some marks on the False Keel and Frames to make sure this part is made with good alignment.

Donnie

No Guts, No Glory !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:26 pm 

United States of America
I thought I would mock up the fitting of the upper deck to see how the frame is going to line up. So far, not too bad. I will fit the deck onto the frame, but not glue it. Then I will glue the cross beam that runs thru the frames and then the frame should be complete. With the deck temporarily secured to the frame, this will assist in making sure that the deck will fit nicely later. Then when I remove the deck, the deck should fit good. The directions do not indicate this. As a matter of fact, the instructions want you to lay the frame on its back and then glue the cross beam in. This would complete the frame assembly. However, I choose another route in that is the fore mentioned of temporarily securing the deck "while" I finish gluing the frame.

Donnie

The image showing the red circles indicated that this area seems to be a little more difficult to make alignment. Everything else falls into place niclely. I can not overemphasis that making the frame as square as you can will pay off. And even then, there may be areas that might not be so square.

No Guts, No Glory !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:27 pm 

United States of America
Mocking up the deck again after gluing all the frame pieces and cross-beam.
All seems well at this point.

Donnie

No Guts, No Glory !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:28 pm 

United States of America
I did a little more work in alignment of frames. I added the last frame piece 18 and supports. The images with the mast are only in there for alignment purposes. I am just doing this so that there will not be any unpleasant surprises when I start adding the deck for real. The False Deck is still not glued for the moment. I still followed the instructions about turning the whole frame upside down and gluing the cross-beam in place. It is really important to stay diligent in making sure everything is square and aligned. It will really make the ship build better if the foundation is done correctly. I am hoping that all of this work will pay off soon. This is the first large advanced project I have done.
BTW - the small anvils were bought from Harbor Freight tools. There were only a few dollars a piece and they really come in handy holding things in place. The mini clamps were bought at HF as well.

No Guts, No Glory !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:28 pm 

United States of America
I think that I am satisfied with the alignment. I tried to take a shot showing looking down the deck frames. The camera was a little off is the reason for the False Keel is a little off center about mid way. But this is the camera not being exactly centered.
The only thing left to do at this point is to add the support beams for the lower deck and then moving on.

Donnie

No Guts, No Glory !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:29 pm 

United States of America
I hate making decisions like this about deck finishing but... the deal is this. The Deck Planking is only 1mm x 3mm. As you can see by the photo, these strips do not have any false caulking on them. (they are not glued down just yet) Everything is natural. I am thinking that putting pencil lead on each side of Planking strips (of which I have done before) on this model, might not look so good. The reason is that the Planking strips have such variation of colors - you can see the planks separately anyway. Now, if the Planks were of the same texture and color, they would need that separation using the false caulking.
I am asking the opinion of others that has been this route before many times as to if use the pencil caulking technique on such a small scale or not. I do plan to use a tiny pin vise to make some false treenails and that should alone suffice. My concern is making the deck "too busy" looking and too distracting. I don't really mean to go overboard as really, I like to keep things simple. once it is done, its done.

Thanks
Donnie

No Guts, No Glory !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:31 pm 

United States of America
I think I might have found a combination that looks ok to me. I am using an Oil Pastel by Prang Sketcho "Oil Pastel Crayons" This is the dark brown color applied to only one side of the Planks. Then I put a small amount of Satin Polyurethane.

Donnie

No Guts, No Glory !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:31 pm 

United States of America
Sorry folks for acting over concerned about this. But this shot I am using medium gray chalk pastel (something my wife had on hand from her crafts)
she wanted me to try the Oil Brown and the Gray chalk before I end using the Pencil as so many suggest. She enjoys my building the ships. She helps from time to time.
so anyway - please bear with me as I try my wife's ideas too !!!
Also is a lame attempt to do false treenailing - I know the treenails are not lined up. One set of treenails are a little larger. I went back a second time to make them more defined, but in the process, I made them bigger. I sanded over the finished product and I did not wipe the sand dust off the deck piece so that the Polyurethane would soak in with the sand dust and fill in the treenail holes. Ok, so now that I have bored everyone with my :idea: experiments, it is time for me to make a decision.

No Guts, No Glory !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 744 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 75  Next