Round Table class Minesweeping Trawler 1942/45 Scale 1:48 Built from the Calder Craft kit Sir Kay.

Thanks Peter.
Always pleased to read your keen observations. I am sure Ging will do a good job, although 'She who must be obeyed' tells me ginger cats do not have a black nose and any way my one looks more like a fox!
Talk about devil in the detail!

Cheers JJ..

Thanks Peter.
Always pleased to read your keen observations. I am sure Ging will do a good job, although 'She who must be obeyed' tells me ginger cats do not have a black nose and any way my one looks more like a fox!
Talk about devil in the detail!

Cheers JJ..
I know, Jack.
1715670455162.png
Ours has catches a lot of rats around our house. Here he is inspecting my build.
Regards, Peter

Anti-aircraft guns. Although the kit plans ignore them and no parts are included, all the round table class trawlers carried AA guns on the wings of the bridge, but there seems to have been no consistency as to the type and I guess it was more what was available at the time. From some photographs Sir Kay, (at least in April 1943), carried twin 303 Hefahs. I confess I had never heard of a Hafah and a quick bit of research showed they had a very short shelf life. Adopted formally in 1942 by the Royal Navy by 1944 the gun was declared obsolete, can't find a reason.
Others where fitted with Brownings, Vickers or Lewis among others and later single 20mm Oerlikons. As I am hoping to show Sir Kay as she may have looked around D day I have swapped the Hafah 303 for 303 Lewis, conveniently producer by Eduard 3D printed and intended for the Anson Mk 1 aircraft. From photographs the twin guns where mounted behind an armoured shield, these I built from 0.25mm styrene sheet. the shields where painted RN white and weathered. Looking at the finished pic. I think 'over-weathered' a better description so I may redo them, but anyway this how they look so far.

IMG_20240514_175104.jpgIMG_20240515_063206.jpgIMG_20240515_125844.jpgIMG_20240515_125936.jpgIMG_20240515_130254.jpgIMG_20240515_130327.jpg

Cheers JJ..​

Anti-aircraft guns. Although the kit plans ignore them and no parts are included, all the round table class trawlers carried AA guns on the wings of the bridge, but there seems to have been no consistency as to the type and I guess it was more what was available at the time. From some photographs Sir Kay, (at least in April 1943), carried twin 303 Hefahs. I confess I had never heard of a Hafah and a quick bit of research showed they had a very short shelf life. Adopted formally in 1942 by the Royal Navy by 1944 the gun was declared obsolete, can't find a reason.
Others where fitted with Brownings, Vickers or Lewis among others and later single 20mm Oerlikons. As I am hoping to show Sir Kay as she may have looked around D day I have swapped the Hafah 303 for 303 Lewis, conveniently producer by Eduard 3D printed and intended for the Anson Mk 1 aircraft. From photographs the twin guns where mounted behind an armoured shield, these I built from 0.25mm styrene sheet. the shields where painted RN white and weathered. Looking at the finished pic. I think 'over-weathered' a better description so I may redo them, but anyway this how they look so far.

Good morning Jack. Magnificent. The mast cables made of wire and to scale makes the rigging of the mast. As for Ging…I’m in agreement with the Admiral ROTF. The AA guns (also never heard of the Hefahs) are cool as is the weathered effect, however this time I am in agreement with you, the weathering is a bit more than the rest of the ship. Never can tell from photos however it is noticeable in the ones you sent. Brilliant rendition of the Sir Kay Jack, so very good. Cheers Grant

Back