Make your rope on a rope walk

Is it possible to make rope nice and tight like this and have it softer. This is like annealed copper wire. I may have trouble getting it to look natural.
Nice looking cable Don. I experienced the same stiffness when using synthetic thread so I switched to cotton thread. Cotton seems to be much more pliable. My go-to thread is DMC Cordonnet and I get it here. https://hhtatting.com/product-category/threads/dmc/

To get the synthetic thread cable more soft just put it in an oven for 5 minutes at 170 degree Celsius.

cheers

Dirk
I agree with Dirk, after baking the rope it's much more soft.
here you can read how I do it
almost the same way. Also take in mind, I believe it was an advice of Dirk. 5 min for thick rope but thinner less time.

Edit: It was BenD who mentioned it.

I cook all my rope. This one was actually cooked twice. Once when it was just rope and again when it became cable. I think it's twisted too tight but I can't get that nice crisp look unless I twist it that tight. Unfortunately since a lot of us made our own ropewalks the word "tight" is hard to define. I only use one motor unless I'm twisting very small stuff, like 3x1 tex 10. When you just have a single motor you are relying on low friction to determine when it starts twisting so I think that's a big factor in my stiff rope.

I cook all my rope. This one was actually cooked twice. Once when it was just rope and again when it became cable. I think it's twisted too tight but I can't get that nice crisp look unless I twist it that tight. Unfortunately since a lot of us made our own ropewalks the word "tight" is hard to define. I only use one motor unless I'm twisting very small stuff, like 3x1 tex 10. When you just have a single motor you are relying on low friction to determine when it starts twisting so I think that's a big factor in my stiff rope.
I also made a rope walk using a single motor and relying on the weighted side to spin when friction builds up. I use a size 0 fishing swivel (Amazon) that has very low friction so it even works on small stuff.
If interested here’s a link to a short video of my ropewalk in use. (YouTube)

Back