HMS Victory - Scale 1:100 by DelPrado -Build Log

Earlier this year a friend provided me with a box containing all 100 weekly installments of the Del Prado "Build the HMS Victory". I hope here to detail the build. Will initially attempt to complete each weekly issue a day until it proves impracticable to achieve as I allow around two to three hours per day to my hobby and as we progress some installments will take a little longer than a days time allotment. I'm still wrestling with how to post photos so once I've resolved that issue will make a start. Hopefully a post for each installment.

Interesting. I have been given a 1:100 Heller Victory in a sack(yes) which I am still contemplating - started (just a tiny tiny bit) by a previous owner, but not seriously damaged and it is mostly there. I will follow your progress with interest.

Earlier this year a friend provided me with a box containing all 100 weekly installments of the Del Prado "Build the HMS Victory". I hope here to detail the build. Will initially attempt to complete each weekly issue a day until it proves impracticable to achieve as I allow around two to three hours per day to my hobby and as we progress some installments will take a little longer than a days time allotment. I'm still wrestling with how to post photos so once I've resolved that issue will make a start. Hopefully a post for each installment.
This will be interesting to follow
Attaching photos is very easy.......
Click on at the bottom "Attach files"
Screenshot 2024-05-03 131736.png

search for the photo you want to post
Screenshot 2024-05-03 131821.png

Mark th ephoto and click on (I think in english it is ) "open"

now the photos are at the bottom of your post, but still not in your text

Screenshot 2024-05-03 132020.png

click on insert and you will see "thumbnail" or "Full image" - decide and after a click there the photo is included in the text, where your cursor was before -> now it is inserted into your text / post

Screenshot 2024-05-03 132136.png

Do not forget to click on "Post Reply" - finished

Very fast and easy to make - you will see

if you like you can make also a test post here

Built a similar Victory model that came via weekly magazine installments. With full rigging and sail it took me 13 months at average daily build of 4-5 hrs. See my posting in the forum. Take your time and enjoy it

Thank you all for your encouragement, my estimate is around 1500-2000 hours for the build especially as I'm a total novice on the subject of rigging and the application of coppering for the lower hull.
So a start was made and I immediately diverted away from my concept of doing each installment sequentially. The keel for this kit comes in three parts and is suppled in issues one, seven and 18. There was a risk here that assembling the keel in stages after having already fixed bulkheads in place could lead to a twisted keel. The keel parts had a fair bit of play so used the work mat to line them up. Also took the work stands from isse three and assembled them. By the end day one arrived at this.
DP_HMS_Victory_00005.jpg
Reverting back to the plan, installment 2 is the first bulkhead and some reinforcement for the bow. The plywood used is not exactly first grade.
DP_HMS_Victory_00007.jpg
The dowel supplied is to assist in aligning the parts. I did use it but struck an issue with getting the bow reinforcement to fit flush against the bulkhead. If doing this again would give consideration to dispensing with the dowel.
So end of day two.
DP_HMS_Victory_00009.jpg

If you hit a snag just message me and if I can I will provide guidance.

My model was an Agostini based on what I could figure out.

Enjoy

Thankyou all for looking in and the kind comments.
Were at that stage where the activity is is focused on fitting bulkheads. There is one in most of the early installments. Installment three was the fixing of the remaining bow reinforcements. I did opt not to use the dowel rod through the reinforcements as it did prevent the pieces fitting flush against the keel.
DP_HMS_Victory_00010.jpgDP_HMS_Victory_00011.jpg
Installments four to six were the next three bulkheads.
DP_HMS_Victory_00012.jpgDP_HMS_Victory_00013.jpgDP_HMS_Victory_00014.jpg
Installment seven is the extension of the keel assembled in the very beginning.
DP_HMS_Victory_00015.jpg
So at the end of day three we have reached this stage.
DP_HMS_Victory_00016.jpg
The construction sheets are divided into three categories, Structure, Rigging and External elements. The first installment included a ships boat in metal. Whilst acceptable opted to visit my LNMS (Local Nautical Modelling Shop) and obtain a couple of replacements,
DP_HMS_Victory_00017.jpgDP_HMS_Victory_00018.jpg
The other components being provided in each installment are a number gunports, or as they are referred to in the instructions "portholes'.
DP_HMS_Victory_00019.jpg
That is all for this update. I know I have accelerated the build in not sticking to my plan of one installment a day. I suspect that I will eventually fall behind schedule.

Now up to bulkhead number 6 or installment 10.
DP_HMS_Victory_00020.jpgDP_HMS_Victory_00021.jpgDP_HMS_Victory_00022.jpg
I have skipped over installment 9, the task here is to plank a onehalf segment of the lower bow deck. I found that bulkhead number 5 when fitted to the keel had a fair amount of play so dry fitted both bow deck segments and used them to brace and true up the bukhead.
DP_HMS_Victory_00023.jpg
My reasons for skipping the task in installment 9 is that the suggested technique was mark a line 1.5 mm in from the inside edge of the half bow segment and then plank out to the outside. I wanted the deck planking to fit snuggly up against the bulkheads. A more pressing issue is of the 10 pieces of planking material provided only 4 were fit for purpose, the planking should be 3mm x 1.5 mm. I'll give delPrado the fact all the planking was 3 mm wide, the depth was another question. Some planks were 1.5 on one side to just over 2 on another or tapered from 1.5 mm at one end to less than 0.5 mm at the other. A trip to Float-A-Boat will yield some better material.
Bulkhead number six was also a loose fit so used a square a clamp and a block to true it up. I can see that with a few more projects in the plan a building slip may be a worthwhile investment.
DP_HMS_Victory_00024.jpg
Installment 11 provides bulkhead seven and more gunports. In the instructions it is at this point we begin to attach the gunports to the bulkheads. As previously mentioned there are two types of gunports provided, the first is designed to fit the upper hull and has small locating tabs the second designed for the second tier are larger with along with their locating tabs. The first gunports fit neatly into the slots in the bulkhead and are almost flush with the edge of the bulkhead.
DP_HMS_Victory_00025.jpg
The second type sit proud of the bulkhead about 1.5 mm which is the same as the thickness of the hull planking material provided.
DP_HMS_Victory_00026.jpg
The instructions suggest to sand down the locating slot to fit the gunports in place.so they follow the line of the bulkhead. I have an issue here in that the outer edge of the gunports should sit flush with the planking (not the bulkhead) in which case the the second larger ones are correct as long as we don't deepen the locating slots. But using this premise it means the the first smaller type will end up recessed in the planking. My solution is to defer placing any of the gunports until I'm ready to start planking to see how it fits. The impact of this decision is my main efforts for the upcoming week will be to continue with more bulkheads.

Last edited:
Studied the gunport question some more. searching through the other installments came across the gunport cover (I'm sure it has a proper name) this suggests that the gunports slots need to be deepened so the gunport is flush with the bulkhead.
DP_HMS_Victory_00027.jpg
I need to own up, I've failed. Despite my best intention to go installment by installment I skipped a few and concentrated on the bulkheads. Also forgot to take photos along the way. By the end of last night, 10 days into the build, was up to the second last bulkhead (installment 25). The deck pieces in the photo below are just dry fitted. In theory you are supposed to partially plank each of the six deck sections individually then glue them down at some stage and fill in the spaces. I suspect that anyone following this may have found themselves with a fair amount of fettling to get the deck planking neat. The bow and middle deck sections are some of the skipped installments.
DP_HMS_Victory_00028.jpg
Before doing the gundeck the hold deck section needs to be installed and planked. (Installment 15). The instructions call for the hold timber to be planked and then glued in place. My timber was a few mm to short so have opted to glue the deck plate in first and then plank.
DP_HMS_Victory_00030.jpg
On the subject of representing caulking of the deck at 1:100 scale have copied from other members on the forum and opted to mark each side of the deck plank with a HB pencil.
DP_HMS_Victory_00031.jpg
Progress to date.
DP_HMS_Victory_00033.jpg
I'm still finding that the quality of the material provided for the deck planking leaves a lot to be desired. Planks should be 3 mm x 1.5 mm. So far I have about a 60% acceptance rate. The the other 40% of the planks are under sized ie less than 3mm wide or both thinner or greater than 1.5 mm (sometimes both depending on where you look along the plank). For the main deck have opted to replace the material with some lime wood from my Local Nautical Model Shop. Life is too short to spend time resizing planks.
More to come.

Back