Fokker Spin III, scale 1:48, scratch build

That is a very fine re-do, Johan. Your scratch leaning curve is ok.:) And your are right, some small parts can get a lot of rigidity.
PS-1: Hopefully your scrapyard will not increase rapidly. ;)
PS-2: Thumbsupfor the blue lined cutting mat. :D One of the better ones here on the SoS.
Regards, Peter
Thanks, Peter, even after having redone some parts, I find that scratch building is oddly satisfying (and also very slow; you have to literally fabricate every single part). One has to question every part of every detail and, as we discussed quite often before, reliable information, in this case about the Spin, is more often than notseverely lacking. One remark in one of the articles I went through dorve that one home, it read along the lines of many modifications/improvements being incorporated on the fly (like I already mentioned about the engines, propellers and radiators). These mods/improvements often did not find their way into the engineering definitions. The replica in the Aviodrome was build about 25 years after the first Spin flew, so in all probability not a reliable source either.
Ad PS1 I'm afraid I'll see a steady flow of parts finding their way to my scrapyard...
Ad PS2 That cutting mat offers superior visibility over my previous one; a definite improvement.

In the mean time I added the aft shock absorber suspension. I used 1mm tube for the cross member and soldered a 2mm tube to this part as sliding bush for the absorber. An elastic cord will be added to simulate the bungee cord.
Looking good, I’m happy.

Red arrow: aft shock absorber.
Yellow arrow: aft shock absorber suspension. The eyelets left and right of the longerons are for the bungee cord attachments.
IMG_1887.jpeg
IMG_1888.jpeg

Hallo Johan, I've just had a look at your build report and your historical information about Antony Fokker, just great. I am very impressed. You have really chosen a special task for yourself. Bravo.
Hello Adi, thanks for visiting.
I'm quite pleased to read you enjoyed Anthony Fokker's history in my build log. For some reason or another I need to have (historical) context for what I'm doing and this build is no exception.
This being my first real scratch build implies I am facing quite some trial and error, but nevertheless I find myself enjoying this build.

That's not what I had in mind; I was more thinking along the lines of you also starting a Spin build... :cool:
Ah ha, actually Johan I have been engaged in another hobby of mine, stamp collecting which I have been doing since I was about 12 years old. I purchased database software to catalog everything and this effort is quite time consuming. While all this is happening, I am always thinking about what to build next and am considering a scratch build from plans of something just don't know what it would be yet.

Fooling around, trying to build a 70hp Argus engine.
Block more or less assembled, cylinder head loose fit, rocker also loose fit. Trying to get a feel on how to do it and how it may look. Still a lot of hours needed.

IMG_1893.jpeg

Back