Best way to mount model on board with a threaded rod through the keel

Hi, Interesting discussion. For my last 2 models, HMS surprise and HMS Bellona, both at 1:75 scale so both reasonably sized, I have used the standard type brass pedestals.
After retrofitting mounts for similar pedestals to HMAT Bounty and encountering significant problem relying on the keel, a more robust method was needed.
My hull construction for Surprise and Bellona is based on 6mm marine ply for false keel and frames. This is pretty heavy duty but has benefits further into the build when construction starts putting stresses into the frame.
I am a great believer in planning ahead, so how to mount the finished model was resolved at the early frame build. As the false keel is quite deep as it extends up to the underside of the main deck there is plenty of meat for prefitting fixings for pedestals. I sourced the pedestals and threaded rod and nuts. I cut slots into the deep false keel and, with 2 nuts about 35mm apart on the rod epoxied the nuts into the slots, let the epoxy set and then removed the rod. I ended up with solid mounted captive nuts ready to receive the threaded rod when construction was complete.

Back