BALDER, Vlaardingen Herring Lugger from 1912, scratch build scale 1:50 Plate-On-Frame

A kind of milestone reached: all the construction parts of the fore ship have been installed:
0249 Voorschip.jpg
The 3 frames for the lantern, entrance and the light for the forecastle in the middle of the deck. On either side of the lantern are also the frames for the 2 drying holds.

A little more from the top so that the openings are visible:
0250 Voorschip.jpg
Without clamps, both parts still fit together nicely. There is a brace on both sides, because the whole model has quite a bit of weight.

With both parts apart:
0251 Voorschip.jpg
The longitudinal profiles in the middle of the deck have still retained their shape and strength due to the intermediate beams.

This is how I applied them.
In blue, first the beams were cut to size and placed between the deck beams
0253 Voorschip.jpg
The half frames used to determine the correct position.

Then placed the frames:
0254 Voorschip.jpg
In blue now the middle bars that need to be removed.

The center bars removed:
0255 Voorschip.jpg
And the frames secured in position.

To be on the safe side, I temporarily supported the parts of the center profile:
0252 Voorschip.jpg
The deck remained in shape but done just to be safe for the rest of the construction of the structure. Later the walls for the drying holds, the galley and the berths will be placed in the forecastle. These in turn support the deck and the temporarily supports can be omitted.
Now back to work with the rivets and the fore schip can go to the paint shop........
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
The longitudinal profiles in the middle of the deck have still retained their shape and strength due to the intermediate beams.
Impressive that this is happen, not easy to achieve.
Your whole build is Impressive, a real informative build to follow. Hopefully somebody got inspire by this build to build it to. You got my attention, I like this.

Impressive that this is happen, not easy to achieve.
Your whole build is Impressive, a real informative build to follow. Hopefully somebody got inspire by this build to build it to. You got my attention, I like this.
Thanks for this compliments and nice words, Stephan. A second Balder of sister ship would be nice …….:)
Regards, Peter

Back